Part 9: late night waffles

In two days I leave for Canada.

To be honest, I have a uncanny feeling about it all. But on the other hand I'm so deeply excited about getting on that plane and literally flying to a new future.

It's going to be okay.

I need to reassure myself all the time otherwise my thoughts take over and I end up just sitting in my room the entire day, contemplating about whether or not I should go... even though it's already way too late to back out now.

My room is a empty hole in the house because everything is already over in Canada. Obviously still waiting at the airport in storage because I don't have anyone to pack it out for me there.
That's my new project the moment I arrive.

I actually wish that Micheal or Daniel could've come with me for the first week, to just help me settle in and make me feel like I'm not entirely on my own. But when they leave then obviously... I'll feel alone.
I think I'm just overthinking again. I'll be fine. Everything will be fine.

"Tahnée it's for you!" I heard my dad yelling from downstairs and I jumped up from the camping mattress in my room, rushing downstairs.

"Daniel." I smiled, greeting him with a big hug and scorching kiss. "Can I take you out?" I smirked up at him, "Sure. I'll be right back." I quickly ran back upstairs and got shoes, fixing my hair and grabbing a jacket before heading out wih him.

In the car ride to wherever he's taking me he held on to my hand or at some times just placed his hand down on my thigh. "Where are we going?" "You'll see." He smiled over to me.
I'm excited. I never really like surprises but I'll keep myself together for this one time.
I hope it's a good surprise.

"Here we are." He smiled with excitement as we pulled up in front of the fanciest restaurant in Albuquerque. "Daniel! We can't eat here, it's way too expensive." I looked at him with big eyes as my jaw dropped to the ground. "Oh common, it's once in a lifetime. Let me spoil my girl before she goes away." He pecked my cheek, getting out of the car and wlaking over to my side and... well I thought he'll open the door.
But he stood there waiting for me to get out.

Gentleman

"I don't have to be spoiled." I laughed, taking his hand in mine as we walked inside. A waiter escorting us to our booked table at the very back, handing us menus.
I felt scared to order anything because it was so expensive. I think I'll just take a water, cause that's free, and a salad. It's the cheapest and I don't want Daniel paying almost a months salary just for dinner.

-

"That was so much fun, thank you for letting me take you out." He kissed my cheek after we got back in the car. "Thank you for taking me out." I smiled, even though my stomach was still grumbling, hungry for food.

He drove me home, just saying goodnight and goodnight before going back home. I sighed, waking back up to my empty room, missing something but I don't know what it is.

Micheal.

My parents are already in bed, asleep. So it won't bother them that I go out again. Or they'll just never know. I got my comfiest clothes on, my sweatpants and a hoodie that's complimented with my dinosaur feet slippers.
I love them.

I headed back downstairs, grabbing a box of waffles, syrup and the cream from the fridge, throwing it all in a paperbag and heading out. Crossing the street and going to Micheal's house.

No lights are on except for the one in his bedroom.

I smiled, climbing over the wooden railing outside their house to get inside he caught the small gate was locked. I picked up a small pebble from the garden and chucked it against his window, seeing his shadow following up to the window before it opened.

"Hey Juliette. I brought waffles." I whispered loudly up to him. "Oh Romeo," he flipped his imaginary hair, "Only if you have cream." "Who do you think I am?" I laughed seeing the smile cracking on to his lips before he came downstair and opened the door for me.

I made my way up to his room with him following behind. "Word goes around that Daniel took you out to sí la paría." He said, making a chuffed face as he flicked his pinkies in the air. "Can I be honest?"
"Oh yes, there's drama! Spill the tea girl." He jumped on to the bed, sitting in front of me as he waited in anticipation for me to tell him about my date.

"I was too scared to take anything that was way too expensive so I ate a salad and drank water. For some reason he found that normal." He laughed, enjoying how I didn't enjoy my date that much. Apart from the food and fancy place it was fun to be out with him.

"Tahnée! You're not the type to go to those places. Does he even know you?" I punched his shoulder. "That doesn't matter, he took me out and that's it. The thought... it's all that counts." I said, taking the waffles and toppings out of the bag. "We need a toaster for these you nutter!" He stated, grabbing the bag with things and my hand, pulling me downstairs to the kitchen.

We started making the waffles and devoured them over a glass of milk and good conversations. "So..." he trailed off, taking the last bit of his waffle and stuffing it in his mouth. "Yeah?" "Can I take you out tomorrow?" I smiled a toothy smile at him. "Why not." I saw his cheeks a bit redder than before as he smiled back at me.
I offered to wash the dishes before going back up to his room.

"Now that's what I call a good meal." I laughed, plonking down on his bed as he turned the lights out and fell down next to me.
"You remembered the times we used to sneak out after dark and go to the lake. Your dad was so angry with me but yet we did it again." "We had some good times." I chuckled, just blankly staring up at the ceiling.

"But there will be more right. It's not like you're never coming back, or just forgetting about me?" He asked, looking over to me. "Of course not Micheal. How on earth can I ever forget you?" "I don't know I'm just- it's stupid. But out there you have a whole new world, and I'm just scared that I won't be part of it."

I scooted closer to him, wrapping my arms around him as I rested my head on his chest. Hearing his heartbeat slowly beating in his chest. He's calm, making me calm.

"You are my world Micheal. You're like my brother. Everywhere I go, you go." I felt his arms holding me now too, rubbing my back as he let out a shaky breath.
"Tahnée, you're the most amazing person ever." He kissed the top of my head.

And just like that, I fell asleep.
I know Micheal will be okay, and I'll be okay too. We'll miss each other more than words can describe and more than any mind or person can fathom.

People may think by now that we have a secret love for one another. Like those clichè movies of the two best friends eventually falling in love, but that's not our story. We're a family, connected by deeper meanings than just heart and soul.

My brother.
/ I'll miss him.