Part 107: music

//brian//

"She always made me worry when she talked about the love she wanted." Mr. Summers said as he and I sat in the hallway outside of her room. "What do you mean Sir?" I asked, playing with the wrapping of the flowers that I bought for her. "She always talked about how she wanted to love someone so much that just the thought of them getting hurt would make her weak. And I guess she found it because she took a shot for you."
"And I'll regret it every day." I sighed, feeling the tears in my eyes once again.

"Don't." He placed his hand on my shoulder, smiling a faint smile at me. "Sir I got your daughter close to death. I don't think I deserve anything other than hate and anger right now. I have so much against myself already and now I'm here watching her in pain... pain I put her in! It's not—" "She did it because she loves you. It was either you or her, and she took the shot for you. Knowing you'll be stronger to move on when she may be gone, because she won't." He said, standing up and walking back in.

I sat in the hallway for at least half and hour. Taking in all he just said. It kinda makes sense, although I don't want to believe it. She's the strongest person I know being through everything that she's been through. But then again, we both were a mess when we took time for ourselves.
But she was more of a mess, she didn't even know what to do.

"Sir?" I asked as I walked in to the room. I saw how he was holding softly on to her hand, staring down at her with pain in his eyes. "May I ask where the rest of the family is?" I was a bit hesitant to ask but once the first word came to mind it's like they all just followed, falling out of my mouth. "They didn't want to come." He sounded angry. "They said it'll be too hard to face seeing her and watching her go... so I left them. I know my baby girl needs me and I'm here for her."
I can't believe it. Her mom and Micheal didn't even bother to show because it'll be 'too hard'.

I call bullshit.

Wouldn't you want to be there for you daughter and best friend when something bad happens?

-

As the night came closer, Mr. Summers grew more and more distant. He kept on getting phone calls from work back in Albuquerque and he wasn't having a good day at all.

"But I just got here Richard, she's—"
"I don't care Summers. The office is busy and we need you here. You're top manager."
"But my daughter, Richard. This may be the last time I see her."
There was a sigh on the other end of the line as I listened to the phone call. I was pretending to be asleep on my arms, resting on Tahnée's bed.
"I'm sorry about what happened, but either you come back or we have to let you go. This is your priority, and I know family gets—" Then he walked out.

I looked up at Mr. Summers standing outside of the room, running his hands through his hair after ending that call. His back was facing me but just by his body language I could see how he was almost on the edge of breaking down, losing it all.

I looked over to Tahnée. "I'm here." I whispered, kissing her hand.
"Oh, you're awake." He said with a small smile again as he walked back in. "Uhmm... Brian I—" "I know Sir. But don't worry about her. I'll be here all the time, till she wakes up." I saw how his eyes grew sad for me when he heard me saying the words that she'll wake up. "I'll keep you updated Sir." He walked over to me, giving me a hig, tightly. "Thank you, Brian." He said as he walked away. Then he disappeared around the corner of he room, out in to the hallway.
Gone.

I took my seat back in next to Tahnée's bed, taking her hand in mine. "It's silent in here." I looked around the room, seeing the CN Tower in the distance of the city out of the window. "Your dad had to go, he has some work to do but he sends all his love." I sighed, "Your mom and Micheal they uhm... they didn't show but Shawn was here too and I'm sure that he's coming back by tomorrow. Brad and everyone else, Matt, Meg and Ian they all send love and hope that you get well soon." I smiled, caressing her hand.

"Do you want to listen to some music?" I asked, pulling my phone out of my pocket, rolling the earphones off and putting one in her ear. I started playing The Vamps for her, considering it's her favourite. I wouldn't say that they're my favourite but that's love.

To love everything she loves and all her flaws, even though all the things she loves might not be things I love, she does it for me too...

"I love you." I pecked her cheek and listened to the music with her.