Total Burst - Vernon

It was one of those days where no one felt like cooking

It was one of those days where no one felt like cooking. So, the evident choice would be to go out to eat. Sure, you could make a frozen meal or order-in, but where's the fun in that? Going out didn't mean a fancy restaurant either, you just planned to go to a casual place with your equally lazy partner, Hansol.

His eagerness shone through when he quickly responded to your suggestion of going out. He didn't want to be forced to cook again like last time you made him. That was a disaster.

"Why don't you ever invite Mingyu over to cook?" Hansol's eyes shot open anytime you mentioned Mingyu, and today was no different. It was a bit offsetting, but you trust him.

He coughed, "I wouldn't want him stealing you from me with his amazing skills, you know?"

"Oh yeah, I'd leave you just because he can cook something other than burnt toast." You both laughed the conversation off and headed out the door to your destination.

Tavolo 24 is one of his favorites restaurants, so you decided to let him be happy with that. He was always suggesting that you go and try the  돌솥 비빔밥 (dolsot bibimbab). You suppose it was time to do so.

"Oh! Man! Isn't this amazing, [Y/N]!" Hansol yelled out in excitement. You couldn't help but smile at how happy he was, even if people in the restaurant were glaring at you two.

"It's delicious, thanks for the recommendation babe!"

Hansol gave you a big smile, as his mouth was stuffed with food. His smile almost immediately diminished as his eyes enlarged.

A concerned look grew on your face, "Is there a problem with your food all of the sudden?"

"No, no. I just have to use the bathroom, I'll be back." He hastily got out of his seat and practically ran to the restroom.

You'd never seen him act like this before. It was just a small, strange act but it was weird. Maybe it was an off day. It was a real crappy day for that to happen though.

Your thoughts were ended abruptly by three loud shots that rang throughout the building. Easily identifiable as a gunshot. Not pots falling in the kitchen, or a crash outside.

Everyone went into panic, and ran out of the place as people toppled over each other. Surely causing more harm than if they would have just exited orderly and quickly. They all sure eventually got out, though. They're safe.

You stayed in your seat even as the employees yelled to exit the premises. The shots came from the bathroom, where your boyfriend of three years was currently located. One shot for every year, how convenient.

You sat there and smiled. Pretending everything was alright.

"[Y/N]? Didn't you hear that? You should be gone," Hansol's voice boomed from behind you, "We need to leave!" Maybe you didn't have to pretend. Because he clasped onto you and swung you over his shoulder, and rushed out of the building.

From what you could see, he was perfectly fine. However there were dots of blood splattered onto his shoulders, from what you felt.

"Are you alright?" He questioned while fidgeting with his car keys.

You didn't answer, but you still had a smile on your face. He repeated the question and you gave the same response.

Hansol deeply sighed as he opened the door and set you on the seat. He looked over you for a minute before slamming the door shut.

The large grin on your face slowly faded away as he circled the car and got himself in. Your mind was finally coming back to you, playing through all the scenarios of what could've happened in there.

Hansol got shot and he's hiding it. Hansol fought some guys and they missed the shots. Hansol had nothing to do with the gunshots and he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hansol-

"I'm in the mafia." Hansol is in the mafia. He's in the mafia. That's a valid explanation. Definitely.

"I always wanted to tell you but it was just never... right. The right time, the right thing, the right life. I'm really sorry and I understand if you want to  be done with this," He tried to comfort you by rubbing your thigh, "It'll just be a little hard for me to deal with."

Your eyes followed the pattern he made on your leg. It was a small heart shape. "What do you want me to say?"

"I want you to be honest with me."

"I love you."

He was on the verge of tears, "I said be honest with me."

"I trust that you're doing what you have to do in order to live your life properly. So, trust me." You kept your voice to a low whisper, at an attempt to calm the both of you.

The tears burst out of his eyes and onto your shoulder as he pulled you into an awkward hug across the center console.

"I love you too."

"Even if I smile in the worst situations?"

Hansol laughed while wiping away his tears, "We're horrible people, we can't help it."

Just like that, you were back to your normal agenda. Laughing away all of your bad thoughts and arguments.