Chapter 26

He met Roman in the lobby, and together they walked out to their rental car. Dean climbed into the passenger seat as Roman began to pack their stuff in the car. When they finally rolled out of the parking lot, it was one o'clock.

Dean stared silently out the window on the way to the airport; mind lost in thought.

"You good?" Roman's voice asked.

Dean blinked, turning to look at him. "Yeah. I'm fine." He glanced out the window again. "I'm worried about my dad." He admitted.

He heard Roman sigh. "I promised I'd talk to him, didn't I?" Dean nodded. "Then why worry?"

"Because you haven't talked to him yet, Roman. And the school will call him soon, and then he'll call me, wondering why I'm not in class."

"Dean, you won't get in trouble, okay? I swear. I won't let him yell at you or..." his friend trailed off.

"Hit me?" Dean said, his voice barely audible. "He hasn't since I was eleven."

"I know, I just... I get nervous. I don't want him to hurt you." Roman took a deep breath. "I shouldn't have done this, I'm sorry..."

Dean looked over at him. "It's done now, Ro. We'll deal with it when we get back." His voice was quiet.

"You know my door's always open if anything happens." Roman murmured.

"I know." Dean replied.