Chapter 52

Dean sat with Roman's mom in the second row of their school auditorium. They were both grinning widely as Roman stood in front of the podium for the closing speech - he was valedictorian.

"Fellow graduates," he began. "Many of us have been here a long four years, others joined us later. No matter how long you've been here, I have come to see you as close friends and even, in some cases, family."

"We've had so many moments within these halls. We've had our fair share of good and bad ones. Let's not forget when a certain someone broke the glass window of the English classroom-" There was a whoop from the back. "-or the lunch strike we all went on in sophomore year."

"There's been breakups, get together, trophies won and championships lost. We've all been part of activities like that; all felt the elation of a victory, or the lesson of defeat. But those times are now drawing to a close."

"Whether you know where you're going now, or you still haven't quite found your path, I wish you all the best in your future. I hope you find what you enjoy, and live the rest of your life to its fullest. Happy graduation."

Roman raised his hand in farewell and stepped off the podium to much applause. Dean and Patricia were among the loudest.