Chapter 105

A/N: Okay, I think I'm gonna set up a schedule so I don't do that thing where I don't update for three months :) So... hmm. Today's Saturday, so I'll be updating (with a few exceptions due to my busy workload) on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Enjoy!

Seth and Dean returned to the school an hour or so later and were immediately confronted by Roman.

"Where did you two sneak off to, huh?"

Dean grinned. "We just went to get lunch."

Seth nodded in agreement. "We talked about college." He added, glancing at Dean.

"Speaking of college," Roman said, with an air of curiosity, "I haven't seen any college applications, Dean. Did you do them at school?"

Dean glanced down at the floor for a moment, then back up at Roman. "Can I talk to you? Alone...?"

Roman frowned but nodded, walking over to an unoccupied corner in the auditorium.

Dean looked over at Seth, who nodded firmly. Swallowing hard, Dean followed Roman to the corner.

"What is it?" his friend asked once he reached him.

Dean took a deep breath. "I haven't done any college applications."

Roman looked simultaneously annoyed and unsurprised. "Dean, you were supposed to have started them at the beginning of senior year." When Dean opened his mouth, Roman just sighed. "I mean, it's not a huge deal. We can do them together; I don't mind waiting one more year. We can start the first one tomorrow, maybe, and-"

"Ro." Dean cut him off. "I didn't do any college applications because I'm not going to college."

Roman closed his mouth, staring at him silently.

Dean hurried on. "I-I've never wanted to, I mean, I've only ever loved wrestling, what would I major in? And I kept meaning to tell you, especially after last year when you said you were going to wait for me, but I just d-didn't know how..." he took a breath. "And even if I did want to go, my financial situation's not great, hell, I don't even have a job, which I feel guilty enough about. I'm really sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, but..." Dean looked down. "It never felt like a good time."

Roman was still looking at him silently, his face unreadable.

"Say something..." Dean begged.

"What do you want me to say?" Roman replied. "That I'm upset? Mad? Cause I am." Dean looked down at the floor. "I mean damn, Dean. You had a year to tell me this. Actually, longer, from the sounds of it. You didn't know how to tell me? 'Hey, Ro, I'm not going to college, so go ahead and get your education, and don't wait for me. Don't put your schooling on hold for something I'm never going to do. I'm just gonna play wrestling for my entire life and that way, I'll never need a degree!'"

Dean looked up at him, tears pricking his eyes. "Y-You've supported my career my entire life-" he choked.

"Well, maybe that was a mistake." Roman replied, his gaze cold.

Dean watched as his best friend since kindergarten turned and walked away. He felt tears roll down his cheeks as he stood there, frozen.

Seth came up behind him and put a hand on his shoulder. "You need a ride?" he asked softly.

Dean nodded to him through blurred vision. "Anywhere but h-home." He whispered.