Always Learning

Buffy's POV

I chase a few of the remaining vampires out of Angel's place.

These guys aren't like other vamps. They're organized, and trained for something. Dunno what but hopefully I'll find out.

I look around. Angel, Wesley and Cordy seem to be okay, considering.

"Is everybody okay?"

"I believe so."

"Yeah..."

"A few bruises but nothing broken, considering."

Okay then why do I still hear fighting?

"Buffy not that we don't appreciate the help but what are you doing here?"

Well gee, let's skip the how are you routine.

"Nice to see you too Angel, Wesley called me since you wanted to know."

I look over to the sound of skull cracking.

Faith!

She's still pounding on a vamp. I run over to her and it's like she doesn't even know the rest of us exist.

"You tried to hurt her, you bastard. I can't let you hurt her. You'll never hurt her again. I won't..."

The last time she was this panicked was when those Kakistos guys followed Faith to Sunnydale after killing her watcher.

Angel, Wesley and Cordy quickly join me.

"She's been having panic attacks like this ever since we found her."

The vamps' been knocked unconscious and his face is almost black and blue but still that doesn't seem to stop her.

"Do you have any idea why?"

I can think of one.

"Well, we have a theory."

She's a psychopath?

"We believe that she has apparently been afflicted with Forgotten Conscience..."

"Which is?"

"According to the Slayer Chronicles, slayers who loose their way and stray from their destiny are given what we have dubbed, Forgotten Conscience..."

She is still going and she doesn't even look tired.

"The powers that be, in order to show the slayer the error of her ways, will strip a slayer of her memories to get her to see her problem."

"And this is what happened to Faith?"

"Yes. The problem is none of the other slayers have had panic attacks."

Okay so...

"Then what's wrong?"

"I examined her earlier. Near as I can tell she's suffering from withdrawal of some kind. Possibly drug related."

Drug related? She's hooked on smack?

"You're telling me she's a drug addict?"

She finally hit rock bottom, eh?

"Buffy nothing is certain yet, no drug on record does this to a slayer."

"Well one thing's for sure we can't let her go on like this."

I go over to her and as her right fist is in an upswing I grab her by the wrist. She looks up at me and something happens.

It's like I'm dejaying my last view, I'm walking up to Faith but I look down at the guy she's pounding and it's Angel. What the hell? I grab her wrist and she looks up at me.

Ow!

I stumble back and grab my jaw.

She fucking hit me. BITCH!

She starts getting into a fighting stance.

So this is the way you want it?

I shift my feet into a fighting stance.

That's fine by me.

I throw three punches but she dodges them easily.

Again something happens and I'm throwing those same three punches.

My legs are kicked out from under me and I'm on my back in no time.

What the fuck is going on?

I don't even have time to react and she's on top of me.

H-Her eyes, it's like there's nobody home. The lights are on but no one's there.

She pins my arms above my head and I can't break free.

Damn it, her slayer powers were never this strong. What the hell is up?

Suddenly I feel her hand on my throat.

Oh my god.

"Faith, stop..."

She starts putting her weight on her hand while the other keeps my arms steady. Lucky for me Angel comes over and pulls Faith off me with a full nelson. I back away and gasp for air.

"What... the hell... was that?"

That's all I can get out before I start coughing trying to breath.

I look up at Faith. She's struggling to break free, but her face quickly changes from a look of rage to a look of fear.

"I-I-I'm sorry I... Are you okay?"

Am I okay?

"You tried to kill me."

"I-I-I..."

I get up and look over at Faith.

"What the hell's wrong with you?"

She lowers her head and stops fighting Angel's grip.

"I'm sorry I... I don't know I..."

She looks up and stares me right in the eyes.

"Help me..."

I can see the tears start to well up in her eyes. I hear someone trip and fall, I look over.

One of the leaders of the band of vampires is still here.

I run over and pick him up and pull his arm into a chicken wing.

"Stick around for a while. I'm sure we'll findSOMETHING to talk about."