Dropping of the Eaves

Willow's POV

"Buffy did you want...?"

"No."

She just cut Giles right off.

She really isn't okay, is she?

Tara stands up from her chair and takes my hand.

"W-Willow, honey... I'm gonna g-go talk to B-Buffy."

Talk to Buffy? About what?

"Will you be okay f-for a m-minute?"

"Of course sweetie, go ahead."

I let go of Tara's hand and she smiles at me before heading to catch up with Buffy.

She probably just wants to help her deal with whatever's eating her up inside. Buffy looked like she was in a bad way a second ago. It could've been the fight with Adam, or it could've been something else. The fact that Faith just left seemed to really get her down.

"Buffy?"

Maybe I should stop listening.

"What do you want Tara?"

"I... I just wanted to s-see if you were okay. Are you all right?"

"No I'm not, and you of all people should know that."

"I-I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry I... it's just... she's gone. We saved the world together and she just left. I feel like crap Tara. My ribs hurt, my leg is killing me and she just left like she didn't even care."

"But she d-does."

She does?

"Does she? I mean, I wanna believe that she cares, I really do it's just..."

Buffy seems to weaken slightly and Tara comes to her rescue, putting Buffy's arm over her shoulder.

"I need to go."

"Of, of course."

She leads Buffy out of Giles' place and on to his porch. I don't know why I decide to eavesdrop but I do, getting up and walking over, just out of view of the doorway.

"Buffy you don't have to w-worry. S-she does c-care about you."

"She said that too but... I don't think she, she meant it."

"B-B-Buffy she, she s-saved your life didn't s-she?"

"She didn't do that because she cared about me, she did that because she... she owed me for, something."

"See I... I d-don't think that's what it was. She saved your l-life because she, she loves you. You... you said she killed Adam to, to save you. That's s-something isn't it?"

"I don't know anymore Tara. I just don't know."

There are a few moments of silence.

Buffy is really hurting over what happened with Faith. I wish there was something I could do.

"Did you tell her?"

What?

"T-tell her what?"

Tell who what?

"Did you tell Willow about what happened?"

Tara was supposed to tell me something?

"I... it n-never happened re-remember?"

Something never happened?

"I know but that doesn't mean you should lie to her."

Lie to me?

"I'm not lying. It, it was nothing."

Tara's never lied to me before. Is she lying to me now?

"You were there when I needed you, Willow will understand that."

What is it I'm supposed to understand?

"It, it's not that I d-don't w-want to tell her it's that there's... there's nothing to tell."

"I'm sorry Tara, I shouldn't have brought it up. You're right, it was nothing. You don't have to tell her. You love Willow and I love Faith, no matter how much she hates me, that's all that matters."

"She, she doesn't h-hate you."

"Yeah... right... I'm gonna go home, maybe cry myself to sleep."

I peek around the door and Buffy is making her way down the stairs, her injuries making it hard to leave. As she goes, I come out from behind the doorway and stand next to Tara.

"Is she okay? Maybe we shouldn't let her go alone. Adam did a lot of damage."

"She'll be all, all right. I'm more worried about her in-inner pain then her out-outer pain."

I take Tara's hand in mine.

"She's really hurting isn't she?"

Tara turns to face me.

"You should talk to her."

What?

"To Buffy? I don't think she'd listen even if I did. She's kinda angry with me."

"Not her, F-Faith..."

Faith?

"Faith is even less likely to listen to me. She and I have never really gotten along and I don't see that changing."

"B-but you can h-help her."

"Faith was able to take out Adam all by herself, she doesn't need my help."

"But B-Buffy does."

Buffy? I thought she wanted me to help Faith.

"You're not making any sense honey. You asked me to talk to Faith."

"Talking to Faith d-does help B-Buffy."

"I'm confused."

"Buffy t-thinks that Faith h-hates h-her."

"Doesn't she? I mean you heard what Buffy said about what happened. She said Faith just let Adam beat on her, and then when it was over she just left."

"N-of, of course not... F-Faith loves Buffy, re-member? We t-talked about this. But the only one who could convince B-Buffy she's w-wrong is Faith. If you t-talk to Faith she m-might do that. T-talk to her Willow, f-for me."

I close my eyes and grip Tara's hand a little harder.

"I wouldn't know what to say."

I open my eyes to look at her and she's not angry, thank god.

"I under-understand."

"Can we just, go home and go to bed?"

We both look down the stairs to notice that Buffy has disappeared from our sight.

"Are you sure she'll be okay?"

"I think so... but let's let her be for a-a while."

"Good idea, let's go home."

"Okay."

We walk down the stairs on our way home.

I'm sorry Tara, I love you but I'm not gonna talk to Faith. It's like I said, I wouldn't know what to say to her, and she probably wouldn't listen if I did.

 It's like I said, I wouldn't know what to say to her, and she probably wouldn't listen if I did