Cain and Abel

Buffy's POV

I kick in the front door of Lowell House.

"Think the government will pay to have the door replaced?"

I look at Faith standing next to me.

"Oddly? Not my biggest worry right now."

I smile at her and for a second she smiles back before she catches herself.

"Right, okay, world in danger..."

She walks into the frat house/evil government Frankenstein lab and I follow her in.

"... big Frankenstein type monster looking to slaughter a bunch of people."

"Right, gotta focus. The Initiative elevator is right over here."

We head towards it.

"Yeah I know B, I do actually remember."

Oh gee that was insensitive of me.

"Oh right... I'm sorry I, I didn't mean to say that..."

She stops a few feet from the elevator/mirror.

"Look, B... can we just get through this without you apologizing every two seconds? I get that you're sorry but that doesn't change what happened."

"I know I'm..."

"Let's just do this, I'd like us to be even."

Even?

"Is, is that all that... that night was to you? Just some favour to be repaid?"

"God B, are we really gonna do this now?"

"Cause it was more than that for me. It was incredible and beautiful and the rest of the world went away for me."

"Did it now?"

"Faith I... I tasted you."

"Yeah you did. But lots of people have tasted me, more than I can remember. And you know, just for the record? You're not the first girl to taste the power between my thighs either so just step off your high horse for a second and see what's really going on between us."

"But I..."

"We're ex, remember? And by the way, you were the one who brought up the whole paying back a favour thing so I don't see why you get to throw that back in my face. If anything I should be the one throwing it in your face. Besides which, this favour you got me doing? Kind of a big one, I'm thinking maybe... the scales will be tipped in my favour when all this is said and done."

"Okay... if-if that's what you want."

At this point I'll take any chance I can to spend time with her.

"Oh you'd like that wouldn't you?"

"What?"

"You'd love an excuse for me to come crawling to you asking for help just so you can spend time with me."

Did I say that or just think it?

"Faith I..."

"Look are we done here with this whole heart to heart thing? Cause for some reason I've got this weird urge to save the world and I kinda wanna get to it."

She takes a few steps but I grab her arm to stop her. She looks at my hand on her arm and then up at me.

"We gonna throw down here B?"

"No I... I just... I don't know how many more times I can apologize for what I did."

"How about none? I told you, I get that you're sorry and I'm tired of hearing about it. We've got innocent lives to save. It's so sad that I'm actually happy about that."