Itchy Trigger Finger

Buffy's POV

"Aaah!"

She's been yelling like that for hours now. I hope she's gonna be okay. There's no telling what those researchers are doing to her... but if they find out what triggers her attacks then maybe I can avoid making her go all postal and it will all be worth it.

"Arrgh!"

I put my head in my hands and stare at the floor.

It will all be worth it.

"STOP IT! BUFFY MAKE THEM STOP!"

Riley's in there with her, he won't let them do anything that isn't necessary. She'll be okay, I know she will. Once we find out what her trigger is then everything will be okay and we can be together like... wait what? Be together like what? Like... like slayers, that's what I mean. Be together like two slayers, fighting against the forces of darkness together.

Someone comes out of the door. I look up.

"Riley... how's it going? Is she okay?"

"She is all right. She'll be okay in a few hours. She's a slayer after all, like you."

"Yeah... so, what did you do to her? Do you know what's doing this to her? Have you found out what sets her off?"

I knew she'd be okay.

"Well we tried several different techniques. Physical, mental and emotional stimulants but we haven't quite figured out what triggers it. We have found out what it is that's caused all this though."

"Really, what is it?"

"As near as we can tell it's a combination of Belladonna, Henbane, and a number of muscle stimulants..."

"What does that mean?"

"Well in certain doses, Belladonna and Henbane have been known to cause anxiety, paranoia and violent mood swings, even in demons."

Violent mood swings?

"But she'll be okay won't she? As long as she doesn't have any more of these mood swings right?"

He's looking at me weird, like I shouldn't be so concerned about her.

"Buffy in many cases this kind of dosage, it causes death."

She's gonna die?

"Oh my god, she's gonna die?"

I wrap my arms around Riley and squeeze. He doesn't hug me back.

Something's wrong.

"Is there anything we can do?"

"She has a chance, but it's dangerous."

I let go of Riley and look up at him.

"What do I have to do? I'll try anything."

"Well, the formula has been in her system for too long for us to wash it out of her. The only way to get it out of her system now is to work off her excess adrenaline."

"Are you saying she has too much adrenaline?"

"Yes... one of the reasons people on Belladonna and Henbane have mood swings is because their adrenal glands are over active, to the point where they can't think straight. Eventually they burn themselves out."

So I'll just take her patrolling.

"So, I'll just... take her out slaying with me. She can work it off that way."

"I don't think that such a good idea Buffy."

"Why? It's not like you know what sets her off."

"No, but we have a theory."

He puts his arm around my shoulders and leads me into the room where Faith is.

A theory, what kind of theory?

"What is it?"

"Hold on..."

As we enter the room, Faith is shocked with some sort of electricity.

"Aaah!"

I take a few steps toward her but Riley stops me.

"Faith, are you okay?"

She takes a few seconds to recover and then looks up at me.

"B-Buffy?"

"Yes Faith... it's me."

She starts struggling against her restraints to get free.

"Faith calm down."

"B-Buffy, grr..."

She starts thrashing about uncontrollably.

"B-B-Buffy!"

The leather restraints start to rip.

"What's going on?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

The restraints rip and Faith nearly jumps out of the hospital bed.

Is she trying to attack me?

"B-B-Buffy!"

I guess that's my answer.

She tries to come at me but the doctors take her down before she has a chance. They try and restrain her again.

I... I'm the trigger.

Riley hands me a piece of paper.

"What's this?"

"It's a list of a few things that were in her system that seem to have nothing to do with this formula. We figure it's some sort of magic thing."

"O-Okay... I'll go show this t-to Willow and see what she can make of it."

I turn and head out the door as they strap her into the bed again. I start down the hall, leaving Riley behind.

Oh my god, I'm the trigger.

John's POV

"We need to find a way to kill the bitch."

You stupid loser...

"Yeah, why don't we walk over to her dorm and ask her to lie down while we suck her dry?"

I'm gonna kill him. Fuck what the boss said I'm gonna find a way to kill him without getting myself killed in the process, fucking bastard.

"Look, fuck the plan, we gotta do something before those bitches and their little Scooby gang find out why we attacked them."

"I know that, I'm not stupid you know, but I'm starting to think you are."

"Hey shut up... I created the formula. I'm anything BUT an idiot."

"Yeah well all those smarts didn't stop you from getting caught by the enemy."

"No you helped me with that didn't you?"

"Yeah well if you had gone and gotten yourself staked like you were supposed to we wouldn't have this problem."

"Like I was..."

"Wait, shut up..."

I think I got it.

"I will not shut..."

"I know who's gonna help us bring down those slayer bitches. Let's go!"

I hit him in the back of the head and point to the door.

"All right fine..."