Remorse

Faith's POV

What am I gonna do?

She's lying in that hospital bed in the room they put her in for her to recover.

What am I gonna do if she doesn't wake up? They made me wait out here, in the chair outside her room. If they hadn't insisted I stay out then I'd be in there now, sitting by her bed waiting for her to wake up. I don't know what I'm gonna do if she...

My head drops into my hands and I feel like I'm gonna cry.

No, I can't think like that. She WILL wake up. She WILL get better... and I'm gonna be there when she does. She has to be okay, she just has to be. No matter what else might be going on between us, I don't want her to be hurt. I don't want her to...

God I don't even want to think it. She's the woman I... I care about her too much to want her to... She obviously trusts me now. She wouldn't have given me my old knife back if she didn't. But I can't forget what she did, no matter how much I might want to. When she gets better I'll have to leave. Leave before we get to the talking thing, and the forgiveness thing, which of course leads to the making up, and... you know, the making out.

Which sounds all well and good but that's not what we need. I told B that whatever went down wouldn't change anything between us and I meant it. We still have to deal with what happened, no matter how beat up she is. I'll be here for her until she wakes up and then I'll bail. It's what I'm good at.

I look up at the door to Buffy's recovery room and my eyes get watery.

Things are really screwed up aren't they? What if I never get a chance to tell her how I really...

"Sir... sir..."

My slayer hearing perks up unexpectedly.

"What was so important?"

Those voices... I know them from somewhere.

"They're here."

"They?"

The vampires... the ones who murdered Riley.

"The two of them."

I wipe the tears from my eyes.

"You're not giving me enough info Dave. Who's here?"

What are they doing here?

I look down the hall they're about 30 feet away.

"The slayers, they are both here."

"What? How?"

"They went to fight Adam."

"And?"

"He's dead."

"Damn it."

"But all is not lost. Apparently one of them took a real beating. She's lying in a hospital room down the hall. We stopped the internal bleeding for the moment, but if you need her to she could have... complications."

Evil doctors, the doctors here are evil. What are they gonna do to her?

"What are you waiting for? Why haven't you done it already?"

"We were waiting for you John."

I stand up and look at the door to Buffy's room.

They're going to hurt her, I have to do something.

"Let's go."

They're coming to kill her. I have to get her out of here while I still can. She's still hurt and I can't fight off the entire hospital staff and keep her safe.