Miss Know-It-All

Buffy's POV

What have I done? She didn't kill those girls.

I run my fingers through my hair, still not looking up at Faith for fear of the cold look she gave me earlier staring back at me.

If she didn't kill those girls then she probably didn't kill Riley either. Oh god, she must've been trying save him. But I saw him lying there, dead and bleeding with the knife next to him, her kneeling over him and I just DECIDED that she killed him. It stopped mattering that she said she didn't do it. I didn't bother asking her what really happened. All I knew was that Riley was dead and someone had to pay.

"What have I done? How could I have such an idea?"

"Which do you want me to answer first?"

Oh god, she hates me.

I look up at her, brushing the hair out of my face as I get that sinking feeling right before I cry, a cold stare looking back at me.

"Faith I, I'm..."

"What? You're sorry? You think that makes it okay?"

"No I..."

"Do you think that's gonna make what you said back in the hallway okay? You think I'm just gonna forget how you treated me?"

"No I don't, I just..."

"What, you just what?"

"I..."

I don't know what to say.

"I don't know."

"You don't know? Wow, you don't know. What a great comeback B. Right up there with shut the hell up isn't it? Let me ask you something B. Did it ever even cross your mind to ask me what the hell happened to Riley?"

"N-No."

Be honest, you'll only make things worse by lying to her. Not that I could see things getting any worse.

"Did you ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe I was trying to save his life just before you walked up?"

"Faith I'm so sorry... I should've..."

"Answer the question B."

I was wrong, things are worse.

"No, no I didn't."

The tears in my eyes make it hard to look at her.

"So you saw Riley's body, you saw his blood on my hands and you just... what? You just DECIDED that I had to be the one who did it?"

"Yes Faith, I'm so sorry I was, I was in shock and I couldn't think properly. I came to the wrong conclusions... I'm sorry."

"The wrong conclusion eh? You really think you came to the wrong conclusion? Whatever gave you that idea? You think that makes it okay?"

"No it doesn't and all I can say is I'm sorry and hope you might be able to forgive me one day."

I wipe the tears from my eyes and she looks away from me.

"Don't count on it."

You should've expected this. Faith doesn't trust people easily and when you finally got her to trust you, you betrayed that trust. You can't expect her to just forgive and forget. She may never forgive you.

"So... what are you gonna do when those Watchers get here?"

God, what am I gonna do?

"I-I don't know I... if they come and tell us that you didn't kill Riley then I'll, I'll untie you."

"IF!? IF they tell you I didn't kill Riley? Even after everything you've found out you're still not convinced I didn't do it?"

Why am I making things even worse?

"I didn't mean... if was wrong, I didn't mean if... I meant to say when... WHEN we find out you didn't kill Riley."

"But you said IF. You're not really sure I didn't do it, are you?"

"No, I am Faith, you gotta believe me."

"BELIEVE YOU? Like I believed you when you said you trusted me? Like I believed you when you said I deserved to be happy? Like I believed you when you said you loved me? FUCK YOU BUFFY!"

I deserved that.

"I deserved that Faith, I know that, but I'm not gonna give up on us. I'll do whatever it takes to win you back."

She looks away again.

"Whatever."

I look down at the floor, hands in my hair.

She has every right to hate me after what I've done. But I won't give up, no matter what I have to do, no matter how long I have to wait, I'll get her to trust me again.

There's a knock at the door. I look at the door and wipe the tears from my eyes.

"That... that must be them the, the Watchers."

"That'd be my guess."

I get up and turn to Faith.

"This'll make things better, I'll show you Faith. Things will be better."

"Whatever."

Giles comes in from the other room.

"Did you, did you get in touch with the guys? Are they coming?"

"Yes Buffy, I explained the situation and they should be here soon."

"Good, good they... they should be here for this."

"Buffy are you okay?"

I look Faith in the eyes and after a moment her eyes leave mine.

Not yet.

"Yeah I'm okay."

Someone knocks on the door again.

"You should get the door."

"I suppose I should."

But I will be.

Giles goes over to the door and lets The Watchers in.