Coming Apart

Buffy's POV

"So what's going on?"

Going on? Faith just trampled over my life is what's going on.

"Did Buffy find another reason to yell at us?"

"I... I'm not gonna yell... not unless someone gives me a reason."

I won't, I'm gonna keep my cool for the sake of the group. Just as long as they don't start attacking Faith, if they attack Faith I'm gonna yell.

"Okay well, I'd like to be elsewhere when she does that."

"Anya please, now is not the time."

"It's never the time to be honest is it Xander? It's never time to say exactly what we mean with you guys."

"Adam is dead."

The conversation comes to a dead halt at my words, everyone with a slight look of shock on their face. Everyone but Giles and Tara that is.

I know why Giles isn't shocked but Tara? Why is she trying to hide her smile? It's almost like she's happy for me. Why? I feel like crap, she should be picking up on that. Why is it making her smile?

"Adam's dead? When?"

"Faith brought Buffy here about 20 minutes ago, she was in bad condition."

"Who? Faith?"

I lift up my pant leg to show them the bandage on my leg.

"Oh my god! Buffy, are you okay?"

"Well I'm not in the greatest condition like Giles said, but I'm alive and healing. As you can see Will."

"What about Faith?"

I turn to Xander.

"What about her?"

"Is she all right?"

"Do you care?"

He looks at me for a second, without the indecision I thought I'd see in his eyes.

"Of course I care Buffy, we all do. Just because I don't get along with Faith, well except for that one time, doesn't mean I want her to die any more than you do. I noticed she wasn't here."

"She's fine she..."

I close my eyes for a second and take a deep breath before continuing.

"She had to go."

"Where?"

"I don't know, she said... she said she had somewhere else she had to be."

We break into silence.

"Well... okay... this is great, Adam's dead. I knew you'd take 'em down sooner or later Buff."

"It wasn't me."

"What?"

"It was Faith."

"What do you mean?"

"Faith was the one who killed Adam."

"What? How?"

"Well I was kinda busy struggling to breathe at the time but... I was fighting Adam and, and all of the sudden she attacked him. She just attacked him and it was like she became this force. It was like she wouldn't stop until Adam was dead."

"Really? Did she, did she say how she did it?"

"She thinks it was me."

"She thinks you did it? Well maybe you did."