Prelude to Fate

Buffy's POV

Why do I keep having this dream?

I'm standing in front of Faith. I throw three easy punches and she dodges them quickly like she always does. Even though I know what's coming next I don't stop it, not that I'm all that sure I'd want to. Faith ducks and before I know it I'm flat on my back. She crawls on top of me, pinning me down. She leans into me and her warm breath makes me all warm and fuzzy in a down low kinda way.

She leans in more and I feel her lick my bottom lip and it makes me squirm. God I wish she would kiss me. And then she does.

I open my eyes.

Oh come on, we were just getting to the good part.

I let out a deep sigh and roll over on my side.

Damn it!

I grab my head as a major headache hits me like a ton of bricks.

Now I remember why I hate alcohol, not to mention the last time I had beer I turned into a weird prehistoric cave-slayer thing.

I look down at Faith and she's still sleeping.

She's so cute when she's sleeping. She looks so peaceful lying there. I don't think the old Faith slept so peacefully.

I start to reach down to brush the hair out of her face but I stop myself.

You can't keep doing this. It'll only make things worse later. You know it and you still can't stop thinking about her. Just because you're in love with her doesn't mean things will be okay. Sometimes love isn't enough, I learned that from everything that went on with Angel.

I let out a deep breath.

You know if the Powers That Be were gonna get me to fall for Faith you'd think they'd at least let me finish my dreams. Let me finish myself off... so to speak.

She stirs in her sleep before opening her eyes and looking up at me. She smiles at me and I swear my heart stops for a few seconds.

"Good morning."

My heart starts beating again and I manage to speak.

"Good morning yourself..."

"You know... I could get used to waking up next to you in the morning."

The feeling's mutual

"I know the feeling."

Did I just say that out loud?

I sit up and the throbbing pain in my head comes back.

"S-so, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay I guess..."