Just Because You Failed, Doesn't Mean Things Won't Work Out

Spike's POV

I duck as a chair comes flying at me.

Adam's been throwing things around for a few minutes now. You'd think Dr. Frankenstein would've installed a rage suppressor in a guy with this much power.

"Hey bits and bytes, what's with the adrenaline rush? I thought you were Mister Calm and Collected with your master plan mate?"

"Riley."

"What did Captain Cardboard do now?"

"He's dead."

Dead?

"Well good for him, can't say I'm gonna miss the drugged up bloke. Tell ya what, I'll go out and get a pint of scotch or something and we'll celebrate."

He comes at me, grabbing me by my throat and lifting me off my feet.

What the hell is with people grabbing me by the throat? Doesn't anyone realize that crushing my windpipe wouldn't do anything except stop me from talking? Course this guy could take my head off with one hand if he wanted to.

"Riley was part of my plan, he was supposed to be my brother in arms. Mother wanted us to rule together. Now he's gone and my plans are ruined."

He lets me go and moves to the middle of the cave among his surveillance equipment.

He's just gonna give up? Geez what kind of a ponce is he?

"Look mate, you're not going to just give up are you? For evil's sake man you're supposed to be all big and bad, so be all big and bad... find yourself a new little brother to hang off you and continue with your master plan."

"No... there can be no one else, I'll have to do this without Riley."

"There ya go mate, I say good riddance to bad rubbish. Let bygones by bygones. You've got your fresh demon parts locked up in The Initiative, ready to tear into your fresher than fresh human parts. I say let the flood gates open and watch your little puppets ripped to shreds."

"Perhaps it would be for the best. I no longer have a timeline to keep up, however..."

However?

"However?"

He turns to look at me.

"Well come on then Tony Robins, spit it out."

"I need the slayer."

God damn it, why does everything always come back to the slayer with me?

"Yeah well, we all need the slayer one way or another. Personally I prefer the slayer dead myself but I can't do nothing about it with this soddin' chip in my head."

"I do not wish the slayer dead, not until she's served her purpose."

"I'd rather her purpose be pushing up daisies but that's not something I can help her with."

"Your chip will be removed as soon as you bring me the slayers."

"Right then and how was I gonna do that again?"

The audio equipment in the cave kicks in.

I think he's got it wired to respond to certain voice patterns, nifty skill.

"The bitch deserves to die."

Adam looks at one of his monitors and I inch a little closer.