Skipped Parts

Faith's POV

"Hi Giles, it's me... Yes, yes I'm all right... No she's, she's here with me. No she's not going to hurt me... No she's not going to hurt anyone else. Yes I'm sure... I'm sorry I didn't call but it took me all night to convince her not to skip town..."

She's lying to protect me again. I don't know whether to call her on it or just let it go.

"Yes she's here with me... no I'm not worried. Look we're just having breakfast and then... we get hungry Giles, it does happen from time to time. We'll stop by as soon as we finish."

She looks at me and smiles.

"Everything is gonna be okay Giles, I know it is."

She's putting a lot into what's between us, bad idea. I have a tendency to screw up everything that even comes close to any kinda happiness.

She hangs up the phone and goes back to her breakfast. She looks up at me with a smile and sees the look on my face.

"What?"

"You lied to him."

She looks down at her muffin for a second.

"I know."

"I thought you and your gang told each other everything. You're all about truth, justice and honor."

"We are."

"Then what's with the lying?"

"They're... they're not ready yet."

Not ready?

"Not ready for what?"

She finally looks up at me.

"For us..."

Does she mean what I think she means?

"Us?"

"What's happening between us, they're still trying to deal with you being back in our lives, I don't think they could deal with it if I told them about our... dating."

Dating?

"Is that what we're doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"You and me... we're dating?"

"Well what would you call it?"

"I dunno but you know, the word dating... it sorta implies that we've you know, gone out on dates. We sorta skipped that part and went straight to being lust bunnies."

She blushes and looks away, composing herself.

"Well maybe we should."

"Should what?"

"Date... you're right, I think we've skipped a few steps. So maybe we should go back and do the steps we never did."

"So what you want us to like, go out... like on an actual date and stuff?"

"Well I... yeah, why not?"

"So you're gonna what, pick me up so we can go out to a nice restaurant and then go see 'Le Banquet D'Amelia'?"

She punches me in the arm.

"FAITH..."

Ow!

"Angel and I barely made it through that movie without jumping each other. I don't think we could sit through it. Besides which, it's not in theatres anymore."

"So what did you want to do?"

"Well we're slayers... why don't we go slaying?"

"You're taking me to a graveyard on our first date? Boy, you sure know how to treat a lady don't you B?"

"Hey give me a break. I'm new at this, how bout The Bronze?"

Hmm, good food, good drink, and good pulse pounding music... I could have B begging for it by the end of the night.

"Sure sounds good. When did you wanna do it?"

There's a moment of silence where we both ponder the subtext of what I just said.

"To The Bronze I meant, when do you wanna go to The Bronze? God B, get your mind out of the gutter would ya?"

It's not like I wasn't thinking the same thing, it's just fun to give B a hard time.

"When do you wanna go?"

"Well unless you had other plans I was kinda thinking we'd go out tonight."

"Well right now all of my long and short term plans involved you, me and this comfy bed of yours."

She laughs and I can't help but laugh with her.

"I think I can squeeze you in."

"Okay then... we'll go see Giles later, and then we'll make a quick sweep before we head to The Bronze for our first official date."

She smiles at me.

She looks so happy.

"Sounds like a plan."

She smiles at me again.

She's really happy. I hope I don't do something to screw it up.