The Price of a Tortured Soul

Buffy's POV

God she's heavy.

We walk down the street, her arm over my shoulders.

"Faith?"

She sort of half grunts in response, just to let me know she was still conscious.

I wish we could've waited till she was a little more alive but she didn't seem to wanna wake up. We tried smelling salts, and all sorts of bad smelling recipes. Cordelia even tried slapping her a couple times before we stopped her. It must be something to do with whatever they've done to her. Faith might be a lot of things but a drug addict? Never.

I look up at a sign and it says 'Commercial train station this way'. It's pointing the way we're going.

Okay, Wesley said it was only a few minutes from here. Whoever those guys were they must have done this to her. Angel will get whatever he can out of that vamp we captured, it's time for me to do my job and keep Faith safe.

We step on to the station grounds and I can feel the gravel shift under my feet. Faith's steps are wide and uneven. It makes it hard to get her to go where I need her to. All of the sudden, she takes one wrong step and Faith trips sending her tumbling to the ground.

She seems to be coming to.

I grab her arms and pull her to her feet.

"Come on Faith, let's go."

She stumbles as we start walking again. We get out to the tracks and suddenly she stops.

Well okay I guess we can wait here till the next train comes along.

"W-where, where are we?"

She's becoming more alert... but she also doesn't seem too calm.

"It's okay Faith. We're going home."

God I never thought I'd ever say that to Faith. Ever since I put her in a coma all I've been thinking about is trying to kill her when she gets out. Now I'm helping save her.

"I-I'm back... I-I'm here."

Back? Angel did say she was talking about taking a train before she passed out. Could this be where she got off the train?

"N-no... we-we have to, to leave uh... I have to leave."

"What's wrong? When were you here?"

Faith pushes me away, trying to stand on her own. She takes a few steps back though and trips over her own feet, falling back on the ground.

"No I... help me? Help me get away from, from..."

She's really freaking out. Something must have happened.

She reaches out a hand to me. I can see tears forming in her eyes.

"Whatever it is, you can tell me."

I reach out to take her hand but she pulls her own back.

"No... I... not after... I can't..."

She starts backing away. I try not to scare her and only keep up with her slowly.

"Look, Faith... I don't know what happened but you can't run from it. If you run from it like you did before, sooner or later it will catch up to you again."

"I... I..."

I look around, worried about if anyone might see us like this.

We can't keep going like this. I need to get her to open up. I think she needs a little push.