Gotta Have Faith

Buffy's POV

Okay this is insane.

Faith and I are on our way home from Giles' place and we haven't said a word to each other.

If we don't talk about what's bothering her then it's gonna haunt us and we're never gonna work through it. It's not like the idea of a thousands of years old demon plotting to kill us gives me happy feelings it's just... I think it bothers her a lot more. I've had horrible evil demons try to kill me all the time, Faith hasn't. I remember what it was like when they first started coming at me, I was scared out of my mind. She must be going through the same thing. I gotta do something to get her through this.

I stop and face her.

"Faith? What's wrong?"

She stops.

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

She looks at me like she's wondering what the hell I'm talking about.

"Nothing... what could be wrong?"

Okay she's not gonna pretend everything's fine.

"Faith this is me you're talking to. I know you better than anyone, at least I think I do. I was there last night when you freaked out. I was there to help you through it. Now I need you to tell me what's wrong so I can help you through this too. Please?"

She closes her eyes.

"Nothing is wrong B."

She tries to leave but I grab her and stop her.

"Come on Faith, we have to talk about this."

She tries to push me away but I won't let her go.

"There's nothing to talk about. I told you that."

"I'm not letting this go. Tell me what's wrong."

She shoves me away.

"Nothing's wrong. Just let it go."

I shove her back.

"Never... I love you Faith, I wouldn't let this go if you tried to kill me."

"Keep pushing me like this and I just might."

I look in her eyes.

That's no idle threat. I guess this is the way it has to be.

"If that's what it..."

I give her a good hard shove this time.

"... takes then that's what it..."

I shove her again harder, making her stumble back.

"... takes."

She shoves me back weakly, the pain in her eyes now replacing the anger.

"Don't push me B."

I push her again.

"Why not?"

"Because..."

She slugs me in the mouth and I grab my jaw in pain.

Ow!

"Buffy I didn't..."

I punch her back.

"Come on Faith, hit me again. If we can't talk about this then we'll just have to fight this out. Hit me."

"No..."