Getting Over It

Willow's POV

"We have a problem."

Buffy slams a piece of paper down on Giles' coffee table right in front of me.

"Buffy, I didn't see you come in."

She all but ignores me as she pulls a stool over and sits down.

"Or more to the point I have a problem."

"How are you Buffy? Did you heal okay?"

"I healed okay. I took a nap and I'm fine Giles."

Why don't I believe her?

"What's going on? What's this?"

I pick up the pink piece of paper and start looking it over.

'Dear Ms. Summers... are terminating the rest of your tenure... a Sunnydale citizen who... a number of murders last year... in violation of campus policy... vacate the premises completely by next week.'

What?

"This doesn't make any sense. They can't do this."

"You read the letter, you know why they're doing it. They can and they are doing this."

"What? What's happening?"

I hand Xander the note and he reads it.

"Buffy's being kicked out of University."

Xander and Giles have the same thought.

"What?"

Buffy runs her fingers through her hair.

"Yeah I know."

We can do something about this.

"Well we can, we can fight this. We'll take it to the Council for Student Rights."

Xander pipes in.

"Yeah, we can fight this tooth and nail until..."

"I don't want to."

What?

"What do you mean? We can fight this we can make them keep you in school."

"I don't want to fight it."

She doesn't want to fight it?

"What do you want to do?"

"I just want to move out and never come back."

Why doesn't she want to fight back? Buffy always fights back, but she doesn't want to this time. It's like she's just given up. Why would she do that?

"But Buffy..."

"I can't. It's just... there are too many um... things I... I don't want to remember. I think the best thing for me is just to leave."

I get it now, this is about Faith. She was staying with Buffy there when they... when she fell for Faith. She doesn't want to be reminded of what happened between them.

"What are you gonna do?"

She's trying to forget her.

"Well I, I called my mother and told her about everything, about Faith... about how she was back and, and about her being good now and all that but I..."

She stops, unsure of how to finish the sentence.

"You didn't tell her about you and Faith? About how things changed between you..."

She drops her head into her hands as if she's about to cry.

She didn't tell her mom.

"I wanted to... I was going to I just, I couldn't get the words out."

She didn't tell her mom because she knows they aren't getting back together, because she's trying to let go and move on.

"What do you want us to do Buffy? How can we help?"

She lifts her head up, sniffling with tears in her eyes.

"Would you guys, help me move? Help me get all my stuff out of my dorm before they confiscate it or something."

"Of course Buffy, we'll help in any way we can."

"Thank you, guys."

"Should we contact Faith? She may wish to help."

"No I... I don't want to bother her with something like this. It's not important."

"You are getting kicked out of University, I'm certain she would wish to help."

"It, it's not life and death stuff, we should probably just let her be."

This doesn't sound like someone who wants to get back with the woman she loves.

"Okay..."

Xander breaks the silence we've fallen into.

"Well what about Willow?"

Me?

"What about me?"

"Well, the letter doesn't say anything you Will. It just says dear Ms. Summers."

I spent so much time thinking about Buffy's situation, I never even considered how it would affect me.

"Are you gonna stay there?"

"Well I... I dunno, I... I hadn't really thought about it. I guess I could stay but, I don't think I want to. So much has happened there, I don't think I could sleep knowing what happened. But I wanna finish school."

"What are you gonna do?"

"I don't know."

"W-Well I... if you w-want you can j-just stay w-with me."

"Tara?"

"You can m-move in with m-me per-permanently."

She smiles at me.

That's a big step... but we're ready. We love each other that much.

I reach out and squeeze her hand.

"Thank you."

She squeezes my hand back and her smile widens.

"Any-anything for you..."

"Well it looks like everyone has a place to go."

I guess they do.

"Yeah I guess we do Xander."

I look over at Buffy who quickly looks away from Tara's hand in mine.

She misses being this close to someone. I wish there was something I could do to help. Maybe Tara's right, maybe I should go talk to Faith. But I still don't know what to say.

"I'm gonna go, start packing."