If She Forgives Me, She Forgives Me

Faith's POV

"Faith?"

Thank god she's all right.

"It's me Buffy, I'm here."

"Faith..."

She coughs.

"... are you all right?"

Am I all right? What kind of question is that?

"I'm fine I'm... I'm more worried about you. Are you okay?"

She sits up on her elbows and grimaces in pain as she grabs her lower ribs.

"I've had better days."

You should apologize, that's the right thing to do right?

"I-um... I'm s... I... are you gonna be okay?"

I couldn't get the words out. I can't remember the last time I apologized, for anything. Well, when I had a memory anyways.

She massages her ribs a bit as she sits up a little more.

"Yeah, I don't think you did any permanent damage. Plus hey, I heal quickly."

"Right, slayer healing is a hand skill. I still... I'm still... I..."

"Faith... is everything all right?"

"Yeah um... everything's fine."

"Everything doesn't sound fine."

"Well I'm better than you right now."

"I'm good, it's not like you put me in a coma or something."

No I didn't.

"No I didn't but I wanted to do much worse. Right up until you passed out I was ready, willing and able to kill you then and there."

She reaches out and takes my hand, pulling me up and I sit down on the edge of her bed.

"But you didn't and that says something about you."

"Yeah it tells me I don't have any guts."

She leans in closer.

"No, I think it means you're not as horrible a person as people want to believe."

I'm not quite sure how to take that.

"That you do care about someone other than yourself. And I'd like to think that maybe one of the reasons you couldn't kill me was because you care about me."

She reaches out with her other hand to touch my face and I pull away.

I'm not ready.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm... I don't mean to... it's just, my head is kinda messed up right now. I need some time to figure it all out. Buffy I, I don't fall in love. I just don't. So I mean, I'm not sure how it's supposed to feel or... or what I'm supposed to do about it. I do feel something for you, I just need time to figure out what it is and work things out."

"Are you gonna stay in town?"

"Yeah, I probably am."

I don't wanna make any promises, especially since I have a habit of breaking them.

"Then I guess I can live with that, Just, just do me one favor."

I smile at her.

"Depends on the favor."