Answers to Questions You Never Asked

Faith's POV

"Faith?"

I look up and Buffy is standing over me.

"It's okay now, you can come in."

She puts her hand out and I take it as she helps me up. We go into Buffy's dorm room.

Okay? Things are okay? How can things be okay? She just, she just threw her roommate out of her own room for me. How can I be okay with that?

"I'll be back in a second okay?"

Okay?

"Y-Yeah, I guess... yeah."

She goes into her dresser and pulls out what looks like her pajamas.

Is that all she's gonna wear?

She closes the door to the bathroom.

Why is she doing this? All I've done since coming to this town is cause problems for her. Her friends are abandoning her over their hatred of me. Why would she do something like this? If these dreams I keep having are memories then Buffy and I weren't the best of friends, maybe even enemies, so why is she going out of her way to help me? I've done nothing but destroy her life.

I-I can't let her do this. I have to do something to stop her from ruining her life. Buffy told me she and her friends have known each other forever. They're probably just really concerned for her because they hate me so much. She's a good person, I can tell, she wouldn't listen if I told her to stop being so nice to me... but I've gotta do something. What if I just left? I could just disappear and start a new life somewhere else. I don't have any I.D., I could just make up a new name and no one would ever find me. It... It's the only way.

I start toward the door and I hear one open. I grab the doorknob.

"Faith? Where are you going?"

Tell a lie... She'll believe it.

"I-I was just gonna, gonna go see if there was another bathroom down the hall."

I look over at her.

She doesn't look like she believes me.

"You could've just waited until I was finished."

She takes a few steps out of the way.

"Go ahead."

"Nah, it's cool."

Great, you just blew your whole lie.

"Faith? Why were you really leaving?"

I take a deep breath.

You fucked up the lie, time to be honest.

"Why are you doing this?"

Who said I was the one being honest?

"Doing what? Going to bed?"

I take a few steps away from the door, towards Buffy.

"You know what I mean."

She looks at me weird.

"No, I don't."

"Y-you just threw your own roommate out so I have a place to sleep, how am I supposed to feel about that?"

"She decided to leave on her own. I didn't throw anyone out. I would think you'd feel better knowing you had a place to sleep tonight."

"This isn't about having a place to sleep. I'm ruining your life."