[34] House of Webs

*Unedited* 

------------------------------------------------------- 

Nina squared her shoulders trying to ignore the noises around her as she saw something ahead as she moved closer to it, she couldn't stop the scream that left her mouth. In front of her was a human skull. The one thing she had said she was scared of.

All of a sudden Camilla's voice came from the walkie talkie, "Nina! I don't know if you can hear me but if you can you need to relax, take a breath and focus. You are so close; I can feel it. Come on Nim, you can do this!"

Nina nodded her head at the girl's words, she was close she had to be. Nina took a deep calming breath and looked past the skull and saw a lever. That had to be the lever for the fake door.

It was a stretch and once her hand wrapped around the lever it was even harder to pull down. Years of being left alone had formed a nice layer of grime and rust on it. But with one tug and a very loud unattractive grunt, she managed to pull it down. She heard the mechanism sound they always heard as a door opened for them in the tunnel and the celebratory shouts from down the tunnel told her she had succeeded.

"I told you, you could do it Nim, now all you have to do is crawl back!" Camilla told the girl through the walkie talkie.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

"it was a door! Nina did it!" Amber shouted as the dead-end they had come across swung away to reveal the next set of tunnels.

Camilla got to her feet and handed Fabian the walkie-talkie so he could keep talking to Nina. The boy had a panic when Nina stopped responding which was the worst thing for him to do, so Camilla had taken the walkie-talkie from him.

"Nina? Can you hear me?" he asked into it.

"I can hear you, I'm almost back you'll see me soon," Nina's voice came back, causing the two boys to crouch by the entrance in case Nina needed a handout.

Nina was out the tunnel before long and Fabian was the first to pull her into a hug, "How was it?"

"honestly, like being down a long dark tunnel filled with bugs and a skull!" Nina replied quickly.

"Sounds about right," Alfie mumbled.

"Yeah..." Amber agreed.

"And there were voices," Nina said her voice cracking a little.

"Voices?" Camilla asked softly in confusion, Nina nodded her head and the girl looked around at the other Sibuna's, "well that's new."

"Yeah, weird ones. It was all in my head but still..." Nina trailed off.

Fabian gave the girl a bright smile, "we'll your safe now, and you did it!" he gestured to the now open space where the door once was.

Nina let out a sigh of relief as she took in the tunnel system. They were one step closer to the Mask and their freedom. "Yes! Okay, let's see what Frobisher-Smythe has in store for us next,"

"For Nina," Amber said putting her hand to her eye.

"For the mask," Fabian added.

"For us all," Camilla said softly putting her hand to her eye.

"For Sibuna," Alfie and Nina chimed in copying their peers.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪