[83] House of Pretenders

*Unedited* 

-------------------------------------------------------

Joy had decided to skip out on dinner, making herself a make-shift packed lunch box and heading to the library. Fabian having told her that Jasper was on team Sibuna so it be a quiet place for her to continue practising Senet.

The thing was it wasn't just her and Jasper in the library/exhibition that night. Just as Jasper called up to her to say he needed to close up a man walked into the building.

"forgotten me already Jasper?" the man said as Joy crouched down out of sight crawling towards the bannisters upstairs glad, she had chosen to hide away up there to practice so she could watch without being seen.

Jasper turned to the man in confusion.

"you would do well, to remember."

Joy watched as the man took off his glasses and threw them onto one of the benches that were under the windows, followed by throwing his doctor's case onto it also. In one swift movement, the man removed a mask from his face causing a shaking hand to cover the girl's mouth stifling the gasp that almost came out.

Joy knew the Sibuna's were dealing with something dangerous, but she had no clue that Rufus was back from the dead. Whatever it was the danger had just become very very real to her. They needed Camilla back, and now... how else would they defeat Rufus?

Jasper didn't look shocked to see Rufus but he was at least wise enough to take a step back in fear of the man.

"I thought I'd pay you a little visit Jasper," Rufus spoke in a soft tone, which just added to the overall creepy vibe the man had. "its been so long since I have."

"I want nothing more to do with you," Jasper told the man.

"yes, but there's no going back." Rufus informed him simply. "now we are accountancies and I know you have such good links with The Protector."

"leave my Niece out of this!" Jasper hissed at the man angrily, "if there is one thing, I will fight for it will always be her and her brother."

"I count on that," Rufus informed him with a creepy smile, "because you and your precious godson's endangerment will cause little Camilla-Anne Rutter to do what I need her to do."

"Cam... Fabian..." Joy whispered to herself as she computed the information.

"Luckily for you," Rufus continued from below not knowing about the student hiding above him, "my plans are coming together rather smoothly, and I won't need your surfaces much longer." Rufus turned and approached the exhibition case that held the replica Mask of Anubis in it. "you see my mother associate, will be getting me the real Mask even as we speak." Rufus informed the shaken looking man who was trying hard not to react to the news but failing miserably.

"But who is she getting it for?" Jasper countered gathering his strength.

Rufus turned to him with a sinister look on his face as his smile dropped, the man's words and implication behind the words clear to them both.

"Vera seems very close to Victor these days," Jasper knew he was twisting the knife but making Rufus question Vera might stall the man enough to give the kids time to get the mask before him.

"Well, perhaps I should pay Vera a little visit..." Rufus whispered taking the bait, "find out where her true loyalties lie." Rufus looked to Jasper once again, "I'm so glad we had this little chat..." with that he turned on his heel and left the library.

The moment the door shut Jasper glanced up at Joy. The two sharing a look. The man might have bought them some time but not a lot. They needed to act and act fast. They needed to get the Mask before Rufus and get Camilla out to help them stop him once and for all.