[45] House of Slander

*Unedited* 

-------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes Camilla wished she paid attention to other Non-Sibuna or Non-Protector drama because she might have been slightly more prepared for the effect of the article Mara posted on the school's website.

Okay, she wasn't that oblivious like she knew the girl was working on some huge piece because she kept phoning people and had begged Camilla for her town pass at least twice – with Abe out of town Camilla didn't use it and she was more than happy to give it to the girl if it meant not having to do her chores that night. But it wasn't like Camilla was going around making sure she knew every detail from every person in the house, boy that would get old fast and she already had so much on her plate that if it wasn't life-threatening, she made a note to just not ask too many questions.

There were two idiots in her life whom she did pay attention too, however, ignoring her phone as it beeped again – Fabian texting her once again about some news article Mara had put up on the school website she had to read for reasons – she grabbed Jerome's arm as he walked out of the boy's toilets. Ignoring his protests as he was pulled up the corridor towards the student lounge.

Camilla had just passed through there and there was one very depressed looking Alfie sat inside it and though she knew Jerome had done the right thing for them to win the tournament for the shield for his dad, he needed to deal with the situation he had just left and soon because from the way her phone was buzzing something else had just exploded and needed to be fixed.

"What do you want?!" Jerome hissed as Camilla finally let go of his arm.

"You need to fix that," Camilla argued with him quietly, pointing to Alfie who was directly throwing ping pong balls onto the stage. One he threw and it hit the corner of the stage causing it to fly back at him which he just managed to dodge.

"How do I do that? I need Amber for the shield Milly," Jerome asked, his tone softening as he took in the sight of his best friend, knowing the small girl by his side was right. He needed to do something to cheer him up.

Camilla turned to Jerome and handed him a whistle she had borrowed from inside Eddie's locker (the boy needed a better lock combination than his own birthday – talk about boring), "I think you are smart enough to figure something out," she told him before pulling out her phone, "Now excuse me... something big has happened because Fabian can't seem to stop messaging me." With that she left Jerome to deal with Alfie, finally clicking on the link her brother sent her to the article – ignoring all the capitalised messages from her brother. Stopping in the middle of the corridor as she read the title of the article.

Mara had been writing about Vera. Vera not being who she claimed she was.

This was not good, not good at all.

Camilla glanced up as she heard running to see Fabian race around the corner, he took one glance at his sister's face and the two knew what the other was thinking.

Victor wasn't going to react well to this.

Camilla had told Fabian everything she suspected about Vera and her working on Victor to see it too, but they both knew the first-person Vera would go to for 'comfort' was Victor.

"I need to..." Camilla started as Fabian reached her.

Fabian shook his head at her, "go, I'll cover for you," he insisted knowing that right now knowing Victor was still team good guys was more important to Camilla than the Sibuna meeting Nina had called.

"Thank you," Camilla whispered before she sprinted through the corridor's leaving her brother in her wake. Not caring what students she had to run into as right now she had a mission of her own.