[54] House of Alibis

*Unedited*
-------------------------------------------------------

"FABIAN... CAMILLA!"

The two turned to see Trudy at the door. This was not good. "what have you done?!" the woman demanded. An exhibition had been broken into, and the twins were being blamed for it.

Within seconds Camilla was by her brother's side taking his hand the moment she got next to him, knowing that at that moment he was not the twin to be talking, not with his current forgetful state anyway.  Camilla knew Fabian was grateful for her rush over, as the two looked at a horrified Trudy who was taking them in as if she didn't even know them. Neither twin wishing to ever see that look on Trudy's face ever again, they never wished for the woman to even think they were capable of doing something like this.

"Guys..." she whispered in a horrified way as she took a step closer to them both, Fabian gripping onto Camilla's hand tightly. Trudy passed them both and gasped as she looked at the exhibition that was missing and the glass that remained in its wake. "what did you do? Who did this?!" Trudy's tone was something neither of them had heard before – though Fabian wasn't sure how he knew that in the moment. It was blunt, sharp, cutting them both straight to the cores. This was a Trudy who meant business, this wasn't the Trudy who hugged them extra tightly on their birthday because their parents didn't send a card and everyone else was more focused on Halloween, this wasn't the Trudy who smiled knowingly with Camilla and Amber as they watched Nina and Fabian flirt, this wasn't their Trudy who fussed them and coddled them and was the mother figured the twins never knew they needed until they came to school. This Trudy was scarily like their own mother and that chilled them to their core.

Fabian was the first to speak up as he looked at the exhibition. Camilla was too busy staring at Trudy with pain in her eyes, trying and failing at not reacting to the cold nature of the woman that had turned on them. "I-I... I can't remember."

"Oh, come on, I know you two are as thick as thieves but you can't hide from this," Trudy demanded looking at the exhibition.

"I-I," Fabian's stuttering and distress caused something in Camilla to click as if the need of her twin outweighed whatever curse was on her. "I'm really sorry..." Fabian pathetically added looking to Camilla then to their hands as he felt something wash over him too.

Something warm, welcoming. Like a hot, steaming bath on a cold, wintery night, whose very warmth snuck right down to a person's very bones and soothed a person's soul.

Something that caused him to remember everything that had happened since he walked into the room, causing his memories with Camilla to brightly burn in his mind as if resisting the very curse he had been put under as if something with a greater power than Senkhara could ever dream took over the joined pair.

Something that seemed to have been waiting dormant for a very long time who's awakening felt like it had been a long time coming. The feeling greeted both Rutter twins like a cat stretching lazily after just waking from sleep, looking at its owner with a knowing secretive glance, as if the universe had told it all the secrets whilst in its slumber.

Something both twins knew, with nothing more than a shared look, they had to investigate further but now was not the time.

Camilla turned to Trudy, "You can't believe we of all people would do this? Our family preserves artefacts, studies them...we don't steal them!"

Trudy's expression softened slightly at Camilla's words, glancing over the pair with mothering eyes, not wanting to think the worst in the situation, but she had to work with what was in front of her.  It was clear to the woman that the twins both seemed hurt at her accusations, she could read it from their actions. Fabian kept glancing at the case biting at his lip, his eyes darting around telling the woman he was thinking over every worst-case scenario possible and from the way he was blinking rapidly he was trying to suppress the act of crying. Camilla's shoulders hunched over, the fight in her words wasn't there like it normally would be, the biggest tell was the fact she kept pushing her hair out of her face as if even her hair was bothering her and she at least had some control over that.