Because It's You

Even though everyone wanted to stay behind to keep Jieun company before her mom arrived, she politely rejected. She finally managed to convince them (especially Yoojung) that she was fine and that they should return to their projects without her. It was already 2pm, and they had wasted enough time on her and only she knew, that it was all her fault.

She also wanted some alone time to think. Perhaps she needed to go somewhere more quiet, where no one, not even the school nurse, who had been very kindly taking care of her up till now, was around.

After getting a final check-up from the school nurse, she left the nurse's office feeling slightly weak but much better. She hobbled towards the staircase, but that was when she saw a small little metal door next to the staircase. As she walked closer, she saw another set of stairs winding up to what she guessed was the rooftop.

The rooftop sounded like a great place she could organise her thoughts.

She pulled open the metal door and climbed up the stairs two steps at a go, elated to get a breath of fresh air. That would definitely clear her mind.

At the top of the stairs, there was another metal door, which Jieun flung open. As she stepped out, she was met by a cool gentle breeze and a breath-taking view.

Wow. Jieun was speechless. She walked over to the railing and stuck her chin out, closing her eyes ans taking in a breath of fresh air. 

Jieun had always enjoyed high places, since a long time ago. She had particularly enjoyed sitting at the edge of the buildings, taking in her surroundings. It was where she felt the most at ease.

In the past, she and her best friend used to go to the school rooftop all the time. At that time, it was not a choice. They were not very well-liked in school and were often bullied - never physically but always verbally - so the rooftop was where they went so that they could avoid everyone and have lunch in peace.

But it wasn't too long before the two of them began enjoying their time at the rooftop. Up there was blue skies, red sunsets, amazing views and the only other person in school they could trust.

Perhaps it was since then. Jieun bit her lower lip. Those were the days. They felt like ages ago... but they actually weren't. The happy memories, even the sad memories... Jieun could never erase from her memory no matter how hard she tried. But did she want to? She should frantically be trying to hold on to what was left-

"What are you doing here?"

Jieun heard a gruff voice and turned around immediately, only to see Jungkook walking through the metal door.

"Oh, I just wanted to check out-" Jieun smiled, glad that Jungkook was actually finally talking to her. Was it because of what happened?

"You can't come here." Jungkook said coldly, not even looking at Jieun in the eye.

Jieun furrowed her eyebrows. "Why? You yourself are here, why can't I-"

"Because no one except me is allowed here." Jungkook said nonchalantly, walking next to Jieun and this time, staring at her straight in the eye. "So... you might wanna take your leave right now."

Jieun hesitated, then nodded and headed towards the staircase. She stopped in her tracks all of a sudden and turned to face Jungkook, who was looking in the far distance. "Jungkook, do you hate me?"

Jungkook turned around. He looked stunned, almost taken aback by Jieun's sudden question. "No, I don't. It's just my personality."

Jieun frowned. "Personality? I know you like keeping to yourself... but why do I feel like you detest me?"