The Library

"Wait-" Jieun grabbed hold of Jungkook's wrist. "Jungkook, hold on-"

Jieun and Jungkook had just reached outside the library. The library was packed with people and that kind of made Jieun slightly anxious. She realised at that moment that she was afraid... She was afraid to be seen with Jungkook one-on-one. People might misunderstand and that may give them another reason to hate her more... as if they didn't already hate her enough.

"Why?" Jungkook stopped, looking down at her hand holding on tightly onto his. "Is anything wrong?"

"I..." Jieun frowned. "Jungkook... I don't know... Maybe we shouldn't-"

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. "Shouldn't what?"

"I don't know..." Jieun realised that she was holding on to Jungkook's wrist and let go immediately. "I mean... Maybe we shouldn't be seen together without the rest?"

Jungkook frowned. "Why?"

"Well..." Jieun bit her lower lip. "Firstly... people might misunderstand us to be, you know..."

"What?" Jungkook laughed. "Dating?"

"Mmhmm."

"Why? Would you not like it if they thought that way, then?" Jungkook looked at Jieun directly.

What did he mean by that? Why did he sound like...

"Well..." Jieun avoided his eye contact. "It might give people an extra reason to hate me... since you're like, really popular and all that. And also... it might inconvenience you-"

"I don't mind," Jungkook shrugged. "I'm pretty used to it."

Jieun's eyes widened.

"I'm just kidding," Jungkook let out a tiny grin. "It's not like not seeing two of us together will make them hate you any less... Let's just go."

"But-" Jieun hesitated. "What if-"

"Shh." Jungkook grabbed Jieun's arm, pulling her along. "No talking in the library."

As they walked into the school library, Jieun could already feel a dozen eyes watching them. She tried to focus on the back of Jungkook's head instead and ignore all the whispers floating around her.

Jungkook suddenly stopped in the middle of the library, scanning the library for an empty table. The library was indeed crowded - hardly any seats were available. Jungkook frowned and turned around.

"Where do you wanna sit?" Jungkook leaned over and whispered into Jieun's ear.

Jieun inched away uncomfortably. "There," she nodded with her head as a group of guys left a huge table in the corner of the library.

"Hm."

Jungkook walked off in the direction of the table and Jieun followed after him from a distance. Jungkook took a seat and gestured for Jieun to come, but she hesitated.

Jungkook looked up and frowned. "What are you doing?"

"It's just-" Jieun glanced around furtively.

"Sit next to me," Jungkook said firmly.

"It's okay, I'll just-" Jieun took a seat at the opposite end of the table. "I'll just sit here."

Jieun took out her books, getting ready to study. But Jungkook was too bothered to even start. He sighed, stood up and walked towards Jieun.

"Jungkook, what are you-"

Jungkook took a seat right opposite her. "You didn't wanna move, so I moved. Happy?"

"No, that's not the point-"

"Shh," Jungkook placed his books on the table. "Let's study."

Jieun frowned, but out of no choice, she did as she was told. However, as hard as she tried, she couldn't focus. Everyone around them were whispering... and she was 99% sure they were talking about her. She let out a deep sigh.

"Can't focus?" Jungkook asked, not looking up from his book.

Jieun didn't respond, she just glanced around her.

Jungkook hesitated, then stood up and walked over to the opposite side of the table and sat down next to her.

"Wha-"

Jungkook whipped out his phone and plugged in his earpieces, offering one side of it to Jieun. "Wanna listen?"

Jieun frowned. Sharing earpieces... that was a bit...

"I don't study well with music," Jieun declined. "You go ahead-"

But Jungkook didn't care. He shoved the earpieces into Jieun's ear and for a while, all Jieun could focus on was the sound of Jungkook's calming piano music. So this was the music Jungkook liked to listen to...

"Thanks-" Jieun turned to look at Jungkook, but he was already busy studying.

Jieun smiled gratefully, trying to filter out the whispers she could still hear with her other ear and focus on the book on the table in front of her.