Competition, Pt. 2

"You really don't tell your parents anything, do you?" Jungkook asked Jieun as the three of them took the lift downstairs for Jieun to send them off.

Jieun hesitated. "I don't want them to worry."

"So... they don't know anything from the bullying, the rotten eggs, your anti fanclub, the watch incident, your expulsion... nothing?" Taehyung asked, flabbergasted.

"Nothing," Jieun said, nodding quietly.

"But why?" Jungkook frowned. "And how - like, how did you even keep it a secret from them?"

"I bathed at a public shower after the rotten eggs incident, the watch incident and the expulsion... I begged the teachers not to call them, saying that I'd tell them myself." Jieun sighed. "But I didn't. And well, for the rest, I just kept it all a secret."

"Why though?" Taehyung frowned as well. "Aren't your parents there to support you? Even if you don't want them to worry, it's such a huge matter! You can't just rely on your own strength alone!"

"I have four of you, don't I?" Jieun was starting to get worked up. "I can rely on myself and you guys, I don't need to tell my parents every single little thing-"

"No, you should," Jungkook said calmly. "You really can't rely on yourself all the-"

"I have to!" Jieun exclaimed. "My parents are not young anymore. And-" Jieun's voice cracked. Once bitten, twice shy. "Their health matters more to me than my own well-being. I had to keep it a secret guys, I have my own reasons." Jieun swallowed hard. "I'm sorry but you guys won't understand." Never, ever.

An awkward silence ensued.

Taehyung pursed his lips, then placed a hand on Jieun's shoulder. "Whatever it is, we're here for you, Jieun. Stay strong."

Jungkook watched on carefully, but didn't say another word to Jieun. "Let's go, Taehyung."

Jieun looked at the both of them and nodded. "Thanks guys. And... I'm sorry for my sudden outburst. Go home safely."

Jieun waved goodbye to Jungkook and Taehyung, but she could only see Jungkook's back as they walked away, because he didn't turn back again. Taehyung, on the other hand, turned and waved to her, motioning for her to go up first, but Jieun stood there, watching Jungkook carefully.

He seemed upset for some reason, but she didn't know why.

Only when Jieun had disappeared round the corner, Taehyung ran to catch up with Jungkook, who had already boarded the bus that just arrived. Taehyung took a seat next to Jungkook, in the nearly empty bus.

The two of them sat in silence for a while.

"Are you upset?" Taehyung finally asked.

Jungkook didn't respond immediately. "No, why?"

"I thought..." Taehyung's voice trailed off. "I thought you might be upset about her not telling her parents things and stuff, since you-"

"No." Jungkook cut Taehyung off immediately.

"Well, I'm just asking." Taehyung shrugged. "Sorry if I offended you by asking you that."

Jungkook didn't respond.

"So..." Taehyung continued. "How did Jennie manage to convince the principal to let Jieun stay? Begging? Bribery? Blackmail?"

Jungkook didn't answer Taehyung's question directly. "It's not as easy as you think."

"Huh?"

"We still need to find the real culprit before the finals," Jungkook said dryly. "If not..."