The Prom, Pt. 9

"You really didn't have to send me all the way back."

Jieun and Jungkook walked back along the path back from the bus stop to her house later that night. It was nearing midnight - it was dark, dimly lit by the streetlights.

"It's late," Jungkook said. "You shouldn't be walking by yourself that late at night."

Jieun smiled. The whole bus ride, Jungkook had been chattier than usual, talking about how he had a great time at prom, thanks to her.

She glanced down at the couple bracelets they had won as prom king and queen. A simple silver bracelet that fit her wrist perfectly. Jungkook had helped her put it on a while ago, and she had helped him put on his... She glanced over at his wrist.

The bracelet was still there, on his wrist.

It was embarrassing to admit, but Jieun really liked the fact that they were wearing couple bracelets.

"Why?" Jungkook said, noticing that Jieun was glancing at his wrist.

"Huh?" Jieun felt like she was being caught in the act of something she shouldn't be doing and shook her head way more than she normally would have. "Nothing."

Jungkook glanced down as well, realising at once where she was looking at. He grinned, holding up his hand with the bracelet. "This?"

Jieun blushed furiously, but managed to answer him. "I'm glad you're still wearing it."

"Of course I'm still wearing it," Jungkook said nonchalantly. "I'm gonna wear it everyday."

"Really?"

"Mm."

"Ah," Jieun laughed. "I know right. It's a good prize afterall... I mean, it's pretty. Of course, you'd wanna wear it everyday."

"That's not the reason why I'm gonna wear it everyday though," Jungkook said quietly.

"Huh?" Jieun stopped in her tracks, glancing up at Jungkook. "Why, then?"

Jungkook stopped as well, glancing down at her. "You really don't know?"

"I don't know," Jieun laughed, resuming her steps. "How would I know if you don't tell me?"

"Wow..." Jungkook caught up with her quickly. "You really don't know, huh. Looks like I need to work harder."

"Hm?" Jieun frowned, staring up at Jungkook, but Jungkook just continued walking.

Work harder?

They had finally made it outside Jieun's house.

"Ah, we're here," Jieun said, feeling slightly sad that this was where they were going to bid farewell.

She did have a wonderful night with Jungkook as well. Especially that bus journey, where they spoke a lot more than usual. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy his company when he was silent... it was just a nice change. Especially seeing him that bubbly... it made her night.

"See you tomorrow, then."

"Wait-" Jungkook called Jieun before she had turned around to unlock her house door.

"Hm?" Jieun was taken aback, but managed a smile. She felt her heart beating rapidly against her chest, but she didn't even know why.

What she didn't know, was that Jungkook's heart was thumping even faster.

"I'm really just asking," Jungkook pursed his lips, oddly looking somewhat troubled. "But... you really don't know why I'd want to wear that bracelet everyday?"

"No," Jieun frowned. "For a matter of fact, I don't."

"Do you see me wearing bracelets on a regular basis?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "Or any jewelry for that matter?"

Jieun thought for a while. "You have that necklace-"

"Other than that necklace?"

Jieun shrugged. "No, I guess."

"Do you know why I'm wearing it now?" Jungkook asked hopefully.

But Jieun shook her head, still looking utterly confused.

Jungkook let out a grunt of frustration. "At this point I have no idea whether I'm the one who's really bad at expressing myself or... you're just bad at understanding me."

Jieun laughed. "What? How would I be able to understand if you're not making yourself clear?"

"What I'm trying to say is... I'm not wearing the bracelet because we got it free or because it's pretty, or even because it's expensive." Jungkook sighed. "I'm saying that I'm wearing it because I won it with you."

Jieun froze. Now she understood.

But did she really? Was he really saying what she thought he was saying? That he was wearing it because... they won it together?

Why though?

Jieun swallowed hard, a look of realisation spreading across her face. Did he really-

Did he really like her... in that way?

No way- I mean, it made her happy and all... but why would he like her, especially after what she had put him through? It was hard for Jieun to process.

"Do you get it or not?" Jungkook laughed nervously.

Jieun bit her lower lip, her face flushing red.

"I think I made myself pretty clear this time," Jungkook said with a smile, reaching out to pat Jieun's head lightly. "Goodnight, Jieun."

He gave her one last smile, before turning to leave, not before giving her one last wave and disappearing into the lift.

Jieun stood there, completely stunned, unable to do anything - not even enter her house - for a long time.