Not Alone

Jieun's heart was thumping faster than it had ever been.

Jungkook had grabbed her by the hand and walked out of the library together with her, holding all her belongings for her as well... She felt like she was the lead in a drama, where the male lead protectively pulls the female lead away from danger.

It felt exactly like that, and that was what made her heart flutter.

He had let go of her hand a while later, apologising for insisting to go into the library despite her feeling afraid, but it all those insults people had uttered to her no longer mattered. Even though he had almost made a scene, he had spoken up for her and she was beyond grateful.

They had decided to go home together after that, so they sat at the back of the bus, sitting in silence. The only sound Jieun could hear was her heart beating violently inside her chest, which she hoped and prayed that Jungkook couldn't hear.

"Thanks again, for earlier," Jieun said with a small smile.

"This is literally the billionth time you've sad that," Jungkook laughed. "But... you're welcome."

Jieun laughed. "I just have a habit of saying 'thanks' a lot of times... and 'sorry', too."

"Oh." The smile on Jungkook's face faded slightly.

Jieun noticed. "Why?"

"Nah, it's nothing," Jungkook tried to evade the question.

"No, there's something." Jieun frowned. "Say it, don't always bottle things up."

"Well..." Jungkook chuckled slightly. "It's just that you remind me of someone. Someone who likes to say 'thanks' and 'sorry' like... a million times too."

"Who's that?"

"Just... someone," Jungkook shook his head. "Even Yoojung says you guys are similar."

"Yoojung knows her too?" Jieun raised her eyebrows. "Now I've really gotta know who this amazing person is."

Jungkook laughed sadly and Jieun watched as he placed his right hand right in the middle of his chest, right under his neck area.

The silver necklace, Jieun thought to herself.

"You guys would have gotten along so well..." Jungkook said with a small smile. "Like you said, she was really an amazing person."

"Was?"

"She's gone now," Jungkook sighed. "But my sister was the most amazing girl I had ever known in my life."

It hit her all at once.

Jungkook had a sister. The necklace was in memory of that sister. It wasn't an ex-girlfriend. Jungkook had lost his sister last year - and that was what had made Jungkook change so much last year, according to Yoojung. That was his secret that F4, and probably Seokjin, had been keeping from her. They all wanted her to find out herself.

But she hadn't expected to find out this way. In such a casual way, on the bus ride home from school. Just like that. But then.... what else did she expect? Did she expect him to prepare her mentally first before spilling everything to her?

Jieun glanced at Jungkook. He had a sad smile on his face, but he looked somewhat relieved. Perhaps he, too, was glad that he had finally managed to confide in another person. It wasn't an easy task to do, afterall.

"Thank you, Jungkook," Jieun muttered.

"Hm?" Jungkook looked up at Jieun.

"Thanks for telling me."

He smiled slightly. "Mm."

"I sure don't know a lot about you," Jieun frowned. "From your parents... to your sister..."

"Yeah."

The rest of the bus journey continued in silence. Jieun had so much to think about.

Time flew past, and the bus finally reached Jieun's stop and came to a steady stop.

"Oh, it's my stop," Jieun exclaimed, standing up from her seat. She turned around to look at Jungkook one last time. "You know... I'd love to meet your grandma sometime."

What? Jieun herself didn't even know why she said that. It all just seemed right, in that very moment.

Jungkook was evidently taken aback, but he smiled back. "Sure."

"And... do drop by at my house more often," Jieun said with a smile.

Then Jieun realised what she was doing. She was trying to tell Jungkook that even though he had lost his parents and sister, he wasn't alone. He still had his friends. He still had her.

Jungkook stared blankly at her for a few seconds, then a small smile crept onto his face. "Thanks, Jieun."

"See you tomorrow, Jungkook."