Struggles, Pt. 3

It was as if time slowed down for the rest of the day.

Yoojung continued to do one housebold chore after another household chore, from washing clothes, to cooking, then barely resting to have dinner, then back to massaging Grandma's back and serving drinks to the guests - no, wait, she was the guest, she almost forgot - to Jimin's relatives.

Yoojung was so exhausted she let out a big sigh when she finally got to lie down on her bed later that night. Obviously, no, she didn't share a room with Jimin. That would be so... obvious. They made her share a room with Jimin's mom. And even though that was really awkward, Yoojung was really just thankful she didn't have to share a room with Jimin's slavedriver of a grandma.

"Yoojung? Are you alright there?" After hearing a lot of tossing and turning, trying to get used to sleeping on the floor from Yoojung, Jimin's mother finally spoke up.

"Huh?" Yoojung turned around, surprised that Jimin's mom had not fallen asleep yet. "Oh- auntie, you're not asleep yet? Was I making too much noise?"

"I mean, well... yeah, you were," Jimin's mom admitted. "Is there any way I can make you feel more comfortable?"

Yoojung shook her head, then realised it was dark and Jimin's mom probably couldn't see her at all. "Oh, no, it's alright, auntie. I'm just not used to sleeping on the floor, I guess."

"That's not good..." Jimin's mom's voice trailed away. "You must be exhausted. You worked so hard today."

Finally. Yoojung almost cried tears of relief. Finally someone is acknowledging my hard work. Fina-freaking-lly.

"Oh, no, I'm fine," Yoojung let out a small chuckle. "But thank you for noticing."

"I'm so sorry you have to go through all that," Jimin's mom said quietly. "It's just that... Jimin's grandma has always been a little strict on the girls close to her sons and grandsons. But likewise, she's strict on the guys close to her daughters and granddaughters too."

"Oh."

"I remember that time when I was dating Jimin's father," Jimin's mom laughed. "It was crazy. The way she kept making his dad do all sorts of things from growing crops and pulling weeds, to horse-riding and slaughtering pigs-"

"Slaughtering pigs?" Yoojung sounded mildly disgusted.

"Yeah," Jimin's mom let out a chuckle. "She was so wary about him being close to me... and I think the same thing is happening to you too."

"I don't get it," Yoojung frowned. "But doesn't she know that by doing this, she's just making life hard for me? And more likely to leave her grandson? Does she want Jimin to be friendless or something?"

"Would you leave Jimin simply because of that?"

"No, of course not-" Yoojung frowned. "That's not what I meant but-"

"Exactly," Jimin's mom laughed. "That's the point."

"I don't get it."

"Neither did I, back in the day," Jimin's mom sighed. "But you'll get it one day."

"Huh? But-" Yoojung was just about to clarify with Jimin's mom what she meant, but she cut her short.

"Anyway," Jimin's mom continued. "Tomorrow's probably gonna be another long day for you, Yoojung, so you better get all the rest you need. Goodnight!"

Yoojung went to bed that night, missing Jimin, thinking about Grandma and wondering what Jimin's mom meant when she said that she'll get it one day.

Needless to say, she barely slept a wink.

~

Byulyi's heart was racing at a million miles per hour.