Moment of Truth, Pt. 1

"Wait-" Yoojung pushed Jieun back against a pillar all of a sudden.

School had ended. Just as planned, Yoojung and Jieun ran after Lisa the minute the bell rang. But as they were nearing the school entrance, they spotted Lisa talking to her mom. They both seemed upset, as if they were in a heated argument.

"What's happening?" Jieun asked, her eyes open wide.

"Shh-" Yoojung put a finger to her mouth. "Listen."

The two of them glanced around the corner, while still trying to remain hidden behind the pillar. They spotted Lisa standing a distance away, facing her mom.

"That tyrant," Yoojung whispered through her gritted teeth.

"Shh-" Jieun whispered back.

They both turned their attention back to the conversation Lisa was having with her mom.

"What did you say?!" Her mom's eyes widened.

"I said I don't want to do this anymore!" Lisa yelled, tears welling up in her eyes. "All your ridiculous expectations of me, I've had enough!"

"Lisa!" Her mom shouted. "I'm your mother! How dare you-"

"I already did as you asked - I gave up dancing for my studies, I gave up on making friends for my studies, I gave up on everything!" Lisa shouted back, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I don't want to live like this anymore-"

"Lalisa Manoban!" Her mom yelled, grabbing hold of Lisa's wrist. "Wake up your idea! The final exams are coming soon, how can you have such thoughts at this point in time?! You should be focusing all your energy on-"

"I don't want to!" Lisa shook her mom's hand away. "Look at all my classmates, going out for lunch, making friends, living their life- What about me?! Everyday, I rush home from school, eat lunch in the car, attend cram school - I don't have a life, mom! Is this really how you want me to turn out?"

"You-" Her mom stared daggers at her. "Yes, it is! This is all for your own good, Lisa! Look at your brother - he's only good at sports and nothing else. Chasing his dreams, my ass! What's the point of chasing your dreams if you can't even succeed?!"

"Mom!" Lisa was sobbing hard at this point. "Please... I'm begging you. I'm really miserable right now, I don't want to study anymore..."

"Lisa! Stop wasting time! We need to get you to your English class by 3pm and if we don't leave now-"

"Stop it, mom!" Lisa begged. "I'm at the verge of-" Lisa swallowed hard. "What if I told you I am at the verge of- I am at the verge of-"

"Don't give me that crap, Lisa!" Her mom glared at her, pausing for a while. "If you don't want to go with me today - fine! I will let you off just today - you better reflect about your actions and give me a proper explanation tomorrow. And tomorrow you have that interview with the YN scholarship committee, don't forget."

Lisa stared blankly at her mom with her tear-streaked face devoid of emotion.

"I'm going now, you take your own transport home later." Lisa's mom flung open her car door, turning around one last time. "I'm giving you a stern warning, Lalisa Manoban. You better wake up your idea. I want to see you back in action from tomorrow."

She got into her car, gave Lisa one last glare and drove off, without a second glance.

"Oh my god," Yoojung turned to Jieun with her mouth hanging open. "That was crazy intense."

Jieun stared back at Yoojung, glassy-eyed. "I didn't know Lisa was going through so much... Maybe we should just drop it."

"You're just making excuses for her, Jieun," Yoojung shook her head. "If she's that busy, how would she have the time to attend your anti-fan meeting?"

"True, but-"

"We'll confront her another day," Yoojung compromised, turning around to peek at Lisa around the pillar. "Once she's over her own personal problems, we'll-"

Yoojung stopped short.

"What?" Jieun frowned.

Yoojung didn't reply.

Jieun peeked round the pillar as well and there, outside the school gates, where Lisa thought was discrete enough, she was using a lighter to light something up. It was a small, white and rounded little thing.

Jieun's eyes widened.

A cigarette.