The Party, Pt. 4

An awkward silence fell over the room.

Taehyung watched as the smile vanished from Jieun's face. He couldn't even bear to look at Jungkook, the blood had probably drained from his face.

Jieun looked like she didn't know how to react. But for sure, Taehyung knew from the way she pursed her lips and swallowed hard, that she didn't feel the same.

He knew this from the start, but why did it still hurt this much?

Taehyung willed himself to glance in Jungkook's direction. Jungkook wasn't even looking at him anymore. He was just staring at the floor. A blank expression across his face. He looked like he was completely unable to process what Taehyung had just said.

Taehyung felt a lump form in his throat. Did he really just- ruin their friendship, just like that?

His eyes darted back towards Jieun, who was now staring at him, looking apologetic. That look on her face looked awfully familiar, it was a look Taehyung had seen before.

Just one time.

It was only when Taehyung had glanced across the room at Jennie, who was seated right there, with a sympathetic, that he had realised what that look was.

She was gonna reject him.

"Taehyung, I-"

"You fell for it, didn't you?" Taehyung burst into laughter, faking a smile as best as he could, clapping his hands dramatically. "It's a joke, y'all. Of course I can't you who it is, so I'll just drink up."

Taehyung grabbed the glass in front of him, trying to fight back tears as he saw Jieun's entire body relax in the corner of his eye and the awkwardness in the room dissolve.

"It was funny, wasn't it?" Taehyung smiled at Jieun, feeling the corner of his mouth quiver but still managing to hold the smile as everyone watched him. "I totally got you there for a second, didn't I?"

Jieun stared at him for a few seconds, before a relieved smile slowly spread across her face. "Y-yeah. You did."

Taehyung smiled back, before turning away, pursing his lips and trying not to let his emotions get the better of him.

You're not gonna cry, Taehyung.

At least, not now.

Taehyung locked eyes with Jisoo by accident as he looked away. Jisoo shot him a look of comfort. Taehyung could have gotten mad right there and then, because if not for her, he wouldn't have been caught up in that awkward situation and be at the verge of tears right now.

But he didn't.

Instead, he was somehow grateful that she had done what she did. She gave him the opportunity to get everything off his chest - and even though his heart hurt a billion times more right now, he was glad he had the opportunity to do so.

Taehyung nodded at her somewhat gratefully.

But the atmosphere in the room was slightly off after what had happened, and Taehyung glanced over at Jungkook, who was still looking at the floor deep in thought. What if Jungkook saw through him? What if he knew that what he said wasn't actually a joke?

Ding! Dong!

Taehyung was somewhat relieved when the doorbell rang, because everyone's attention immediately turned to the door.

"Who could that be?" Hoseok frowned, standing up from the floor. "All of us is here already, could my parents have come home? I thought they were on vacation-"

Hoseok ran to the door, unlocking it and pulling it open and a smile slowly spread across his face when he saw who was standing at the door.

"Oh my gosh, you're here! Come on in!"

Hoseok held the door wide open, allowing the mystery guest to enter the house as everyone craned their necks to get a good look of who the person was.

The guest stepped in and familiar face afterall. Everyone in the room smiled... well, except for two people - Seokjin and Jisoo.

Because it was Byulyi.