Loss and Lost, Pt. 2

Jieun couldn't believe her ears.

Jungkook's... sister?

All this while... Somi... was Jungkook's sister?

Jieun's head was spinning, her legs were about to give way. But they held on, as the F4 finally moved away, and she slumped to the ground at once.

Somi... her best friend she had lost a year ago to an accident she had a fault in...

And...

Jungkook... the guy she had talked to for the past few months and couldn't help but fall for...

All this while....

Jieun didn't even realise that tears were already automatically streaming down her face. Her world had just crumbled before her very eyes. Dealing with the guilt of hiding the truth from Jungkook was bad enough, now that he was directly related to it-

Jieun was sobbing loudly. She had never sobbed this hard in her life. She was sobbing like she never had. It was like things were finally starting to get better, she had come here today to talk to Somi, finally let go and forgive herself, but then this had to happen and now there was no way anything would ever get better.

There was no way she'd ever forgive herself. There's no way Jungkook would ever forgive her when he found out. There was no way she could ever be together with him.

There was no way out of this.

Jieun buried her face in her hands. Why didn't she realise all this earlier? If she had, she could distance herself before allowing Jungkook into her life. She could have immediately transferred out before her feelings grew stronger. She could have stopped everything from happening before it was too late.

Why didn't she see the signs?

The necklace around his neck he was so protective about that he even snapped at her. The "S" initial... Somi, duh. The way he said he was also scared of fires. The incident that had changed his personality completely that Yoojung told her about... it happened at the exact same time. The way he had confided in her that he had lost someone he held extremely dear to him. The surname "Jeon". The way his name sounded so familiar on the first day of school... Come to think of it, Somi herself had probably brought him up in their conversations before, and she was dumb enough to forget it due to her stupid trauma...

On hindsight, everything matched up. It was so clear, in hindsight, that Jungkook and Somi were siblings. It just didn't click in Jieun's mind. Everything was just so... coincidental. So... unrealistic. Two best friends, one caused the death of the other, got involved with her sibling and they fall in love... but they cannot be together because of the circumstance. Doesn't that sound like it came right out of a drama? It just simply never occured to Jieun that such a scenario would happen to her - not one in a million of a chance.

Like... everything just seemed too impossible. The fact that she had missed the funeral, because she was too guilty, and didn't get to meet Jungkook there. The fact that the past few times she went to visit Somi, she'd always see the same bouquet of flowers there, but never see the person who placed them there.

If she hadn't gone so early today, she'd have missed him once more. And they both would still be in the dark about it all.

Would that have been better... or worse?

Well, it didn't matter, anyway. Because regardless of whatever she did right now, her heart was about to be ripped apart. Whether she dated Jungkook until he found out, or whether she left him, without him even finding out. The only difference was whether Jungkook's heart was going to be ripped out too.