The Prom, Pt. 10

Jungkook... liked her?

That night, Jieun tossed and turned in her bed, unable to fall asleep. Finally, she sat up in her bed, resigning to her fate.

You're gonna have to deal without sleep tonight, Lee Jieun.

Jieun turned on her bedside lamp with a frown.

Jungkook really... liked her?

She felt like she could feel it coming... but at the same time, it still took her by surprise.

They had indeed gotten so close within this two to three months Jieun had been here. She had gotten closer to him than she had ever imagined of when she had seen him on the first day - when she was even worrying about how they were gonna get along as deskies.

Jungkook had changed so much as well. From the grumpy, passive, lethargic guy to this really kind, slightly less passive guy who had a beautiful resounding laugh, and the way the skin around his two round eyes crinkled slightly when he smiled that beautiful smile of his, not to mention how he had always stood up for her and believed in her whenever people doubted her, and how he was the first person she wanted to tell any news to, regardless whether happy or sad-

Oh my god.

Jieun froze.

She was in love with him, too.

Now, that may have had been perfect for almost everyone else... but not for Jieun. Sure, they may like each other, that's fantastic, but to date each other? Jieun wasn't worthy.

Because dating meant she'd have to open up even more to him. The side of her she didn't want anyone - especially not him - to know about.

And... worst of all, he hated secrets.

Keeping secrets in dating was a no-go too, so how was she going to tell him everything? He might not want to be friends her anymore, not to mention, date her.

But he had supported her all this while too... perhaps, he would accept her for who she was...?

No way, even if that was possible, Jieun still couldn't forgive herself. She didn't want to risk it. She didn't deserve him.

Jieun sighed, lying back down and pulling the sheets over her head.

What did he want her to do, anyway?

It's not liked he confessed, afterall. Maybe he liked her, but that didn't mean he wanted to date her. Maybe he just wanted her to know he liked her, but he wasn't going to take it any further.

He didn't ask her to be his girlfriend afterall.

Jieun sighed, reaching her hand out of her sheets to turn off the lights, letting herself fall into pitch darkness once more.

But what if... he was preparing her? Preparing her for one day, when he's ask her out? How was she gonna answer?

She liked him too, she realised. More than a friend. He wasn't like Jimin, he wasn't like Seokjin. He wasn't even like Taehyung, whom Jieun felt close to. These guys were all great, but...

He made her feel a certain way she had never felt before.

Jieun had never ever been in a relationship - she was an outcast afterall. She'd had a few crushes here and there, but that was it. Superficial, heart-pounding crushes that never made it to fruition.

But Jungkook was so different from any crush she had ever had.

Don't get her wrong. Jungkook made her heart pound. Oh boy, he made her heart pound so fast sometimes she didn't even know what to do with herself. He gave her butterflies in her stomach when he smiled at her. She was sometimes so nervous when she talked to him she'd trip over her own words.

But what made him different was that he gave her a sense of security, warmth... and familiarity.

When around him, Jieun felt safe... and at peace with herself. She'd always been afraid of what other people thought of her, but around him, she didn't. She valued his opinion, but she knew that he, of all people, would never judge her. He, of all people, had his utmost faith in her personality and abilities.

This was no ordinary crush - Jieun could actually foresee a future with him. She had transferred schools to have a fresh start, should she just go for it?

But there was something that held Jieun back. She would never ever want to hurt Jungkook. The truth could potentially crush him. So the only way to avoid that... was to stay away from him.

Jieun sighed. This wasn't an issue she had thought of when she transferred schools. She had fallen for him, so hard and so fast she didn't even see it coming. Now what it all boils down to was...

What should she do?