A Fresh Start, Pt. 5

"So you're sure you don't wanna hear what I have to say?" Taehyung glanced at Jisoo, as he took his seat next to Jisoo once again. "I thought very hard and I think I've finally figured out how I feel."

Jisoo bit her lower lip nervously. "I really wanna know... but at the same time, I'm really scared of finding out..."

"If I were you, I'd wanna know," Taehyung shrugged. "I think if anything, it'll give you peace of mind. But if you're sure you don't want an answer from me, I'll respect that. And we can go back to being friends."

"Oh my gosh," Jisoo buried her face in her hands. "This is so hard."

"Let me know when you have an answer."

"Actually..." Jisoo looked up all of a sudden. "I think I've changed my mind. I wanna know right now, tell me. I'll be able to handle it."

"You sure?" Taehyung looked concerned. "Alright, well, here I go."

Jisoo pursed her lips, clutching onto the hem of her skirt, embracing herself for what was to come.

"So..." Taehyung began slowly, watching Jisoo's expression closely. "At first, when I heard your confession, I was surprised. No, wait- let's rewind. Before that, when you kissed me that day- my mind literally went blank. All the thoughts I had in my mind about Jieun disappeared immediately. That day I went home, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. I couldn't sleep that night."

"I'm sorry," Jisoo bit her lower lip. "About that, I just- I didn't mean it- I mean- it's not that I didn't mean it- I meant it, but I didn't mean to upset you-"

"I'm not upset," Taehyung continued. "Quite frankly, it wasn't bad at all. It was a pretty good first kiss."

"Oh."

"But that's what bothered me," Taehyung admitted. "I liked it a bit too much for someone I thought I didn't like romantically, but I didn't know if I really liked you in that way, or if it was simply because... it was my first kiss."

"Ah."

"And up till now, I still don't know why I felt that way," Taehyung said solemnly. "I'm still trying to find out why that was so. But about your confession... it really made my heart flutter, to be confessed to for the first time in a long while."

"I'm sure there are many people who have confessed to you." Jisoo scoffed. "Why would I be any different?"

"Well, of course, you're different," Taehyung continued. "You're not just anyone, you're Jisoo."

Jisoo pursed her lips, smiling a little.

"And so, I really wanna thank you for that," Taehyung said slowly. "I'm really thankful for that amazing heartfelt confession of yours. It made me feel so many things I haven't felt in a long while. It felt really good, really. So... thank you."

Jisoo chuckled sadly. "That's a rejection, isn't it? A typical nice Taehyung-style rejection."

"It isn't," Taehyung frowned as he shook his head. "Why would you think that way? I meant what I said when I was thankful... but I cannot give you an answer right now, Jisoo. I need time."

Jisoo frowned.

"And I want you to know why I'm being extra careful," Taehyung looked into Jisoo's eyes. "I'm scared too, Jisoo. Not for myself, but you. After my brother hurt you in the way that he did, and after I saw the way you became after that happened... I don't ever want to see you that way ever again, Jisoo."

Jisoo raised her eyebrows.

"Because of what happened with Seokjin... I have to be extra careful," Taehyung explained. "I can't say 'yes' when I'm not 100% sure about my feelings yet. The fact that I don't want to see you hurt... means that I really do care for you, Jisoo. This is something I am so, so sure of. You're someone I care for so much that I don't want to treat this lightly. I don't want history to repeat ever again, Jisoo, and I'm doing this for your sake, for our sake. So give me some time, I'll give you a more definite answer in due time. Is that okay?"