A Brand New Day, Pt. 6

"A test?!"

Yoojung almost shrieked, as her mouth fell open.

"Shh-" Granny laughed. "Yeah, a test."

"You're saying, all this while- all this while-"

"It has been a test to see how worthy you are to be my grandson's girlfriend, Yoojung," Granny smirked. "Good news - you passed."

Yoojung almost fainted.

"But how- why-" Yoojung stammered. "He told you that I'm his friend- I mean- why? I don't understand- but the household chores- the slogging- the- the-"

"All part of the test," Granny grinned triumphantly. "Right down to seconds ago, in the market, I wanted to see what an amazing girl caught my dearest grandson's eye, Yoojung. And... now I can kinda see it."

And so, as it turned out, Granny had found out about their relationship early into their trip. In fact, within the very first hour, she'd found out - or rather, she'd sensed it.

"My grandson has never brought anyone back home before, Yoojung," Granny laughed. "Not even another guy friend. You were the first."

Yoojung blinked rapidly. "And that's how you pieced it together?"

"I wish I could say yes," Granny shrugged. "I had my suspicions, but to be honest, it wasn't until I saw the way he looked at you, that I knew."

"The way he looked at me? Like... how?"

"This may sound absolutely cliché, but yeah," Granny laughed out loud. "It's different, the way he talks to you, smiles at you, looks at you. It's way beyond the way he looks at his family, or his friends - it's pure... happiness."

Yoojung raised her eyebrows. Why did she have absolutely no clue about this? To her, Jimin always looked that way to everyone. Those cute, tiny, gentle eyes, looking at everyone with pure affection. He liked people, in general, after all.

"That's how I realised at once," Granny went on. "That you were the one. A girl - the girl - that Jimin was crazy about. I began testing you and at the beginning, let me say that I was taken aback at how feisty you were. I was worried about Jimin, to be completely honest."

Yoojung felt her face burn up all of a sudden, as she recalled the way she spoke to Granny on the first day. "Oh... you know, that-"

"Don't worry, I understand now," Granny smiled warmly. "I did go overboard a couple of times here and there, but you still treated me with utmost respect. That's something that really impressed me, Yoojung."

"Respecting elders is a must," Yoojung laughed, purposely leaving out the fact that there were a couple of times that she was this close to cursing directly at her face. "Especially since you're Jimin's grandma."

"It's okay," Granny chuckled. "I know I must have pissed you off a couple times more than necessary, you probably wanted to shout at me and drop everything and leave."

Yoojung chuckled sheepishly.

"But you didn't," Granny beamed. "That's how I know how serious you viewed your relationship with Jimin. And that gave me the confirmation that I can entrust you with my dear grandson."