One Step Closer

"Jieun! Jieun! Come take a look at this!" Yoojung called Jieun excitedly, pointing at a poster on the school noticeboard as the clique was making their way back to the classroom after lunch. "You'll wanna see this!"

Jieun, Jimin and Taehyung walked over and Taehyung read the poster's contents out loud, "'In view of recent events, it has come to the attention of the school directors' board that bullying has been taking place. This is a reminder to all students that bullying of any form, regardless whether verbal, physical, mental, etc. to state a few, is an offence. Take note that such actions will not be tolerated and immediate disciplinary actions will be taken on offenders. Thank you.'"

Jieun beamed at her friends. "This is all thanks to you, guys."

"No, we should thank Mr Kim!" Yoojung's eyes twinkled. "He must have raised it up to the board of directors..."

Their moods were immediately boosted for the rest of the day after seeing the poster on the noticeboard.  They skipped back to class happily.

"Jungkook, your food is-" Jieun walked into the classroom with the food they had taken out for Jungkook, but stopped halfway when she saw someone sitting at her seat, talking to Jungkook.

As she walker closer, she realised it was Lisa - the dancer in her class whom she wasn't very close to, but had done the art project together with a month ago.

This wasn't the first time she saw Lisa sitting at her seat. Ever since the end of the art project, Jieun sensed Lisa's sudden interest in Jungkook. Jungkook didn't pay much attention to her, but Jieun felt bothered somehow.

What made things worse was that Lisa didn't seem to like her at all. She would always look for Jungkook during lunchtime when her seat was free, and that made Jieun really, really annoyed.

Lisa looked up, sensing at Jieun had returned. She stood up. "I hope you like it," she said with a smile to Jungkook, patting him lightly on the hand, which made Jieun frown. Then she returned to her seat in front, not sparing Jieun a second glance.

"Why did you take so long! I'm starving to death." Jungkook exclaimed and Jieun saw him shove a pink-coloured box under his desk.

Jieun frowned, but walked towards him, passing him the bag of food. "There was a long queue! Next time come eat with us if you want it faster."

Jungkook dug into the food, ignoring Jieun's comment.

"Eat slower, you're gonna choke." Jieun mumbled under her breath. But her mind wandered, she couldn't help but keep thinking of Lisa - why she disliked her, why her hanging out with Jungkook made her jealous, what was that she hoped he'll like?

Jungkook was wolfing down the food at rapid speed and didn't even stop until all the food was gone.

"How do you eat that much and not gain weight?" Jieun sighed, but at she was just saying random things while her mind wandered elsewhere.

"Thanks, it was a good meal." Jungkook said quietly.

Now that he had finished his meal, this was her chance.

"Jungkook, you know..."

"What?" Jungkook wiped black bean sauce from his mouth. "You wanna ask me something?"

"You know..."

"What is it?" Jungkook frowned. "Look - I don't have all day, just say it."

"Well..." Jieun bit her lip.

Just say it, Lee Jieun. Just ask what you wanna know. Don't be a coward.

"Nothing."

She couldn't say it after all.