A New Chapter, Pt. 2

"Slowly, slowly, there! You did it!" Seokjin yelled excitedly. "Gimme five!"

"Chill, boy," Byulyi's grandma chuckled. "That was just a breeze."

"Look how cocky you've become," Seokjin laughed. "Damn it, I should have filmed you doing that. You didn't do it the last time - Byulyi would have loved to see you do that. Could we do it again, so I can film it and show Byulyi?"

"Don't," Byulyi's grandma laughed, making her way towards the nearby stone chair. "She's busy working."

"But I want her to see you kick ass at that exercise machine, granny," Seokjin pouted, helping Byulyi's grandma to sit down. "Slowly, slowly."

"Thank you, Jinnie," Byulyi's grandma smiled, sighing slightly as she took a seat. "It's always fun coming here to exercise with you. We sure haven't done this for a long, long time."

Seokjin pursed his lips, thinking about the period when he had been dating Jisoo. He'd totally forgotten about his regular park dates with Byulyi's grandma. "I'm sorry," Seokjin bit his lower lip. "I was kinda busy during that period."

"I know," Byulyi's grandma chuckled, taking Seokjin's hand in hers. "I'm not blaming you. I'm just really glad to be here with you today."

"Me too, granny, me too," Seokjin beamed.

"You always make me feel so comfortable, Jinnie," Byulyi's grandma stroked Seokjin's hair fondly. "You're like the grandson I never had. Of course I have Byulyi, whom I love with my entire heart, but of course a grandson, it's different."

"Of course," Seokjin squeezed Byulyi's grandma's hand gently. "Of course, granny. I'll be your grandson if you want - I'll take you for walks when Byulyi's not free, I'll spend time with you, I'll buy you your favourite food..."

"Of course, of course," Byulyi's grandma smiled, but her eyes seemed to sparkle a little, as if she were holding back tears. "But you do know my days are numbered, don't you."

"Don't say that!" Seokjin exclaimed, frowning at Byulyi's grandma. "Please don't say that, granny. You're gonna live a really, really long time. You're gonna live and see your granddaughter get married, have children, you're gonna live a long, long time..."

"No, honey," Byulyi's grandma chuckled sadly. "That's what you hope for - well, that's what I hope for as well - but unfortunately, you know how it is, I won't live forever. My health had been really bad lately, I really can see myself leaving anyt-"

"Please-" Seokjin's voice cracked as he spoke. "Please, don't, granny. Please."

"Child..." Byulyi's grandma laughed. "People eventually have to go, there's no point avoiding talking about it. Whether I talk about it or not, it's eventually gonna happen. It's better to face it head on and embrace ourselves for what is gonna happen."

Seokjin swallowed hard, as tears formed in his eyes. His grandparents on both sides of the family had passed away since he was in middle school, so he never really had an elderly figure in his life who could dote on him, give him life advice, go on long walks with... Byulyi's grandma was the only one. Since the first time they'd met, Seokjin treated her like his own grandmother. He loved her with his entire heart.

"Why are you crying?" Byulyi's grandma chuckled again, wiping the tears that were falling down Seokjin's cheeks with her thumbs. "Don't cry, but instead, please listen."

"I'm sorry," Seokjin wiped away his own tears with the back of his hand, trying to get a grip of himself. He smiled at Byulyi's grandma, holding her hands in his as he sat up straight. "Go ahead, granny, I'm listening."