Chapter 4

Sidney

I woke before the sun had the chance to rise as I got to work getting breakfast ready for my four legged household and myself. It was dry food for my pets and sausage biscuits with a side of coffee for me, of course I shared a little of the sausage with their greedy stomachs. Once everybody was taken care of I cleaned everything up and let them outside before heading upstairs to get changed into what I deemed as decent work clothes. I settled for an older blue t-shirt and faded blue jeans, before pulling my hair up into a ponytail and slipping on my sneakers.

 I called Ollie and Tyson in as Sassy took up her post on the couch, the two boys settled in for a nap on the rug as I grabbed my keys and headed out. The fifteen minute drive was peaceful until I pulled up outside of the animal housing and the main building beside it. I could hear and smell the presence of wildlife in the air and it brought a smile to my face, until another scent froze me in my tracks. Male wolf and this scent was fresh, there was a wolf here and considering Zach having said there was only one guy I'd have to meet today, I had a strong gut feeling that my new work partner was one of those wolves I hadn't wanted to cross paths with. 

A part of me wanted to flee the scene, but knowing that my scent was hidden and he couldn't tell I was wolf unless I shifted helped propel me up to knock on the main buildings door. I tensed as I readied myself for whatever I was about to come face to face with, but when the door opened it wasn't at all what I had expected. The handsome brown eyed boy wasn't much older than I was but he was a good bit taller than me, I would guess around 6'2. I scanned him in a quick glance noting his walnut tan, the brown eyes and the curious royal blue streaks in his short black hair.

 "Um, hi. I'm Sidney Blake, I guess I'm your new work partner." I tried not to cringe at my own false cheerfulness. I knew I needed to at least get along with the people or in this case wolf I was going to be working with, but instincts and past experience told me to not trust males like him, especially ones I didn't know. "Zach mentioned you. I'm supposed to show you around, I'm Gavin." he huffed. I noticed that he didn't seem the least bit thrilled about my presence either, so I braced myself to try and make this unwanted partnership work.

                                        Gavin

When Zach had mentioned a new hand helping out around the critter crazy sanctuary, I certainly hadn't been expecting this. Sidney Blake was downright gorgeous her hair was a shining chestnut brown and her eyes a hazel mix of green and blue. I'd gotten such a good look at those beauties due to the fact she had met my gaze head on, she didn't even shy away from the eye contact like so many humans normally would. I preferred hanging out and caring for the animals over socializing with the people in town like most of the guys, but I had to admit if half of them looked as gorgeous as she did I might just change that. 

"So, how long have you worked here?" Her question was posed with cautious curiosity. "A few years, your the first assistant to get a job here other than one of my friends helping out or the occasional volunteers." I muttered back to her as I looked away from the intensity of her dazzling eyes. "Why's that?" The tilt of her head drew my attention back to her face and the way she studied me. "Uh, well... a lot of people are afraid of these woods." That seemed like a good enough answer, right? "I don't see why, they're gorgeous if you ask me." Her snort had me stopping outside the squrriel enclosure to focus back on her.