Chapter 34

Simon

When Sidney had texted me I had been in a consultant meeting but I had been quick to excuse myself in worry that something might have happened at the sanctuary, again. What I hadn't been expecting was for her to want me to meet her there, the reason why was even more surprising. It had been what, a day, since I told her the reason of my fears and the wanting to overcome them and here she was trying to help me do so. The first thought I had was to be worried over what she had planned, then her invitation to go running with her cut those worries short real quick.

 The only other time we had run together was with the pack and here the she wolf was inviting me off alone, my wolf was practically jumping for joy beneath my skin. I was quick to agree as I informed my coworkers that something had come up that required my attention immediately as I hurried out to my car and sped my way to the sanctuary, my mind spinning. On one hand I was nervous to see what she had in mind to try curing my fear, on the other I was excited to be the one to go on a solo run with the she wolf. Running as a pack was a special experience, running as two single wolves of the opposite gender.... I had never had a chance for such an experience but from the stories I'd heard, it was never something to take lightly.

 I parked my car and stepped out to see her coming to meet me with a small smile, it didn't take long to return that with a grin of my own despite my nerves. "So I hear we're going for a run by ourselves?" I raised to her as I sent a glance back to where Fletcher and Gavin were watching us silently. "Yes and no." She hummed out on a wince, now I could feel anxiety starting to swirl through me faster. "We are going for a run but not entirely alone, that's kind of how the beating your fear comes into play. We'll be running with my two boys and Spartan." She stated slowly to test my reaction, oh h*ll no. 

I could just imagine the gang of beasts all coming for me at once, I was having an internal panic attack as I kept my features as calm as possible. The nerves must have shown through somehow though because the next thing I know her tiny hand is being placed gently on my arm and every ounce of strength seems to leave me. I'm trembling like a leaf under her touch, like a terrified pup, no wonder Tucker is always teasing me, I really am a wuss. "Simon it's going to be okay, you won't be alone and I won't let them hurt you." Her voice is gentle and focusing in on her touch seems to help ground me once more as I try to calm my shaky breathing.

 "I don't... I'm not..." I can't seem to explain anything but she seems to understand just fine. "We are going to go a little ways into the woods and shift, I will have Fletcher open the cage door to let them out and Tyson will follow our scent and lead them to us. We will be far enough away that if you don't think you can handle it you can run the other way." She states clearly with a slightly more stern voice that seems to command my attention. She isn't even using her alpha control and I feel compelled to obey her in my nervous state, so without much more thought I nod slightly and she grins proudly as her hand drops from my arm.

 "Good, remember leave your stuff in the car, I'm going to go store mine too, see you in the trees." Her tone seems to be daring me to follow as she jogs off into the forest, my wolf instantly wants to give chase. I'm quick to strip and shove my things into my car as I focus on the shift and finding the she wolf, not on the impending doom to come. I don't get far into the trees before instead of finding her she finds me, practically slamming her smaller stature into my side in a playful tackling move as she nips at my ear. The action immediately has me growling playfully back at her as she darts ahead of me and I give chase, she's a lot faster than she looks.