Chapter 75

Sidney

I took a very quick shower to avoid any interruptions, once the scent was scrubbed off my skin and my scent masked by the soap and salves I was out in a hurry to dry off. I changed quickly into some clean clothes with a happy sigh, it was so nice to be back in my own stink free belongings for the time being. With everything taken care of and my stomach starting to hunger for another meal I headed downstairs to have lunch with the others, glad that it was a pleasantly quiet and relaxing meal. With all the immediate worries washed away I now had time to focus on the very important matter of Bowen's foolish decision, it was time to have that little talk.

 "B.S, we need to talk." I raised the matter slowly as tension spiked in the air around us, the other boys sending nervous glances between us. "Well look at the time, I think the trash pick up is coming soon we should haul everything over there now!" Gavin rushed out as the others rushed out with him or escaped upstairs to their rooms, Colton hovered a moment in uncertainty. "Relax Beta boy, I'll be good I swear." I vowed an oath not to cause trouble and with a final glance he headed upstairs as well, leaving me to face an uneasy Bowen alone. I crossed my arms and raised a brow at him nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the other under my gaze.

 "Can we maybe do this outside on the porch?" He murmured wearily and I paused for a moment of silence before humming. "I suppose so, after all I dud just clean this place up, no need to trash it again so soon." I shrugged as I headed out onto the porch, I swear I heard him gulp before following slowly behind me. I watched as Spartan ran off into the trees with Tyson and Ollie to help check the perimeter was safe, it was nice knowing things had gone well so far with the wolfdog added to the mix. I leaned against tge railing in the silence as I looked up at the blue sky, the sun was shining brighter and the snow was melting fast. I made sure that Bowen could not read anything from me by shutting down my link and schooling my features into an indifference as I returned my focus to him.

 "Okay, I know you said you didn't want my pack, I know that you didn't want this position and it was wrong of me to force it on you. I shouldn't have done something so foolish and I put you in a position that you didn't want or need and... I'm so sorry." He rushed out nervously and I tilted my head at him cooly. "You done?" I quipped my tone cold as he winced but nodded, seeming to brace himself for shouting that never came. I stepped forward and slapped the back of his head roughly, his eyes flew open in surprise as I met his gaze and held it, he studied me intensely. "Never say you're sorry for something that needed to be done to keep everyone safe, you made the right choice Bowen and I want to thank you for that." I whispered soft and sincere as I let a gentle smile play over my lips to his utter confusion. 

"Wait, what... but I thought... huh?" He huffed out as he puzzled over my reaction I chuckled in amusement. "You are correct I did say that I didn't want your position, partly for my own reasons and partly out of sheer respect for you as my friend. That being said when faced with a dominant wolf ready to fight for everything she's worth, you made the right choice." I murmured gently as I ran a gentle hand over his hair before taking a step away so I wouldn't get too distracted from our talk. "Okay?" He seemed curious now, although his confusion was still clear. "No one I've ever known has ever done that before, you continue to amaze me with your restraint and respectful kindness. There were other packs I tried to befriend you know, the last one actually stuck around until my first heat outside a cage." My tone drops to a bitter note and he easily notices.