Chapter 10

Sidney

Running. Faster. They were right behind me, I could hear them gaining. They had gotten too close, I hadn't meant to cross the line. I ran faster and faster but this was their land, they knew it better than me. I could smell them, and hear them snarling at my heels. I was exhausted my ribs were still sore from healing and these bozos chasing me weren't helping, I knew I had to do something. I smelled the water and ran for it as fast as I could, the fresh speed gained me a bit of space from the pack at my back but not much. As soon as I reached the quick currents edge I turned to face the pack of males with a warning snarl of my own. I was done running, couldn't they see I didn't want to fight them, I just wanted to get away? I watched as the five males emerged from the trees and snarled as they came to a stop in front of me, sizing up my challenge. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, their teeth or the raging waters behind me, but at least the water meant my back was protected for the time being. "Please leave me alone, I don't want to fight, I was just passing through." I sent the link to them only to have them growl dangerously back at me. "Rogues do not pass through on our land!" One snarled back. "I'm not a rogue." I growled wearily. "Trespassers will not be tolerated, any last words nomad?" The powerful male voice ran through my mind in threat. I watched as their leader stepped forward with a dangerous challenge, and with it my own strength rippled beneath my fur. I closed my eyes seemingly weak to them as I steadied myself for what would happen next, the decision was easy to make for me now. The moment I opened my eyes I knew they were shining with a ferocity I had been told was far outmatching of my small stature. I watched as one of the males behind the leader stumbled back in confusion and tucked his tail at the power behind the snarl I now released to them. "You should have left when you had the chance." I sent the resolved rumble to them, and that was when they charged.

I wake from the nightmarish dream panting as my muscles flexed in eagerness for the memory of that fight. I shake away the images flashing through my mind, I had come out of it alive but that was a victory I did not wish to reap the spoils of. I got up and dressed into some jeans and a blue t-shirt before going to check the baby birds and give them a feed. Once they were taken care of I fed the dogs and Sassy before making sure they went out to use the bathroom. I grabbed a quick bagel for myself before it was time to feed the baby birds again and head into work, I was a bit surprised to see Fletcher standing beside Gavin when I pulled up. 

"Hey Puppet, to what do we owe the pleasure of your company?" I hummed to the young male as I handed over the baby birds to Gavin who took them inside for bird duty. "Well I didn't really have anything to do today so I thought it might be nice to help out around here a bit." The kid shrugged and lowered his gaze to his sneakers. "Well then you can help me feed the animals and get the foxes ready to release, they are scheduled to be freed today." I comment kindly to him, he quickly agreed as I led the way on the feeding rounds. Once all of them were fed I had Fletcher help corral the pair of foxes into a transport cage, it wasn't the easiest job but we got it done.

 "So whats the story on these two?" Fletcher asked as he helped me load the cage into my backseat so we could take them a bit further away from the sanctuary. "These two tried to set up home in someone's garage and instead of letting her husband shoot them, the wife had somebody pick them up and bring them here." I stated as I let Gavin know we were taking the foxes out and Fletcher took shotgun while I drove to a more secluded release sight. "Humans are horrible." The boy growled lowly beside me. "On that I would have to agree, but then on the very rare occasion there are people like us that actually give a d*** about other living creatures." I scoffed back, I sensed his gaze studying me while I kept my eyes on the road. "Yeah." He murmured softly, and I didn't have to look to know the adorable pup was blushing again.