Chapter 25

Sidney

The next morning I woke early and hurried back home after calling quick goodbyes to the still half asleep males. I was quick to let the dogs out when I got home and made sure everyone was fed and happy before going up to shower. I didn't bother with breakfast after my fill from the hunt the night before, I just downed a cup of coffee before loading the dogs up in the car and taking them to work with me. I let them into Spartan's enclosure to play while I went to work on the morning feedings. It was still early after all the shelter residents had been fed and since Gavin had yet to show up I decided to take Spartan out for a bit. 

This time I sent a quick text to Gavin to let him know I would be in the woods with the wolf dog, then I let the three happy hounds out of the cage. I decided not to shift this time as I walked into the trees and whistled for the dogs to follow, Spartan panted happily at my side. We walked and jogged a little over half an hour letting my four legged friends stretch their legs after being cooped up all last night. By the time I led the way back and got them all back into Spartan's cage Gavin was leaning against the side of the main building watching me.

 "Did you have fun?" His tone was clipped and annoyed. "Don't get snappy with me Streaks, I let you know where we were this time." I raised back. "Still doesn't mean I don't worry, he might turn on you." He grumbled back. "If he did I can defend myself, but he's a very friendly male so I don't think your worries are well founded. I'd say he's more loveable and gentle than Tyson, my pet is more aggressive than that giant puppy." I stated honestly as Gavin stared back at me strangely. "I get the feeling not much scares you CG." Gav puffed out and I shrugged back. "What can I say, I'm pretty fearless." I hummed back as we got back to cleaning the cages before getting out transport cages for the squirrel army.

 I helped to get the agile little acrobats into the transports before we loaded them into Gavin's 2004 silver Cadillac. We took them to an area that had lots of good food trees for them before unloading the cages, they had started to chatter excitedly at the sight of all the trees. "Looks like they're ready to go home." I murmured softly, unable to help the smile creeping onto my face at their excitement for freedom. "Care to do the honors?" He smiled back as I knelt to open the two cages, and they rushed out into the open with chirps of joy.

 Most of them headed straight for the trees but two of the younger ones looked around in the leaves in search of fallen food. One small male I recognized as the friendliest came to crawl up the side of my pants and up onto my shoulder as he chattered into my ear. "Looks like he likes you." Gavin chuckled as I trilled a little tune back and all the squirrels quieted to listen. "I didn't know you spoke squirrel?" Gav raised. "I don't really, but listening to them I kind of learned the difference between the happy and danger calls." I stated as the male on my shoulder finally made his way off and back into the trees where he belonged.

 "Well I'd say that release was a perfect one, we should probably get back though." Gav called softly as I stared up into the trees. I suddenly felt a strange inkling in the back of my mind that put me a little on edge, my instincts were telling me something but I wasn't sure what. "What's with that frown CG, I thought you were happy to see them go?" Gavin asked gently. "I am, but... Streaks have you ever had your instincts telling you that something wasn't quite right?" I mutter lowly to him as he looks at me confused. "What do you mean?" He quizzes uncertainly.