Chapter 21

Sidney

The next few days were relatively peaceful, after spilling my guts to the boys at dinner they seemed to be giving me a little space to think things over. Of course I was still seeing Gavin and Fletcher at the sanctuary but they kept all conversation light and friendly. I quickly learned that Fletcher took care of the house and volunteered at the sanctuary, but other than that he didn't have a job like many of the other boys did. I was starting to realize I liked having their company, especially with them being lower ranking wolves that had no real interest in challenging me. I was really starting to build my new friendship with the two boys and although I enjoyed it I couldn't help the slight guilt flickering at the back of my mind. 

I had told them a great deal of the truth of my past but I had left out the greatest and most important details which in a way felt like I was lying through my teeth. I think a few of them noticed I'd been holding back that night which made me feel even more guilty, but I was thankful that they hadn't pressed the subject. These boys didn't need to know how broken I'd once been and how haunted I was now, I would do everything I could to keep them from the pain I'd suffered. I pushed the dangerous and painful thoughts to the back of my mind as I focused on the task at hand, I had something very important to do this morning.

 I had been building my relationship with Spartan up as well these past few days and he was responding well enough that I'd decided to give something a try. So this morning I'd gotten up extra early and after getting everyone fed I loaded Ollie and Tyson into my car and headed for the sanctuary. I took them straight to Spartan's cage and was glad to see the large wolf dog perk up at the sight of my pets, his eager whines and body language showed me he wanted to make friends with them. I posted my pets outside his cage as I hurried through the morning feeding rounds and rejoined the audience at Spartan's cage before any of the boys showed up for work. 

"Alright big guy, we're going to try a little something today." I murmured towards the large caged male as he perked his ears up at me before turning his attention back to my pets. "Ollie, come here." I called the friendlier of my two boys over and slipped a leash on him before leading him into Spartan's cage. It wasn't long before I decided to drop the leash entirely as the large wolf dog and my smaller pit pup chased each other in playful circles around the cage. I called Ollie back to me and Spartan came right up with him, it was the happiest and most relaxed I'd ever seen him.

"Gavin is not going to like this..." I sighed out as I looked from Spartan to the cage door, but I wasn't about to halt my plan because of a silly boys worrying. I unleashed Ollie and let him out of the cage as I stared Spartan down, his attention focused on me uncertainly now that his new friend had left his domain. "They can't keep you caged up like this forever because of a stupid abusive b*******. Come on you handsome pup, let's go have some fun." I murmured out to him as I swung open his cage door and stepped aside. I knew if he took off I could catch him but with how excited he was to play with my dogs I doubted he'd go far. 

He just stood there looking confused at the offered freedom so I called Ollie to the door and he coaxed the large wolf dog out of his cage with the promise of play. Once he was free of the confines of the tiny enclosure his attitude changed to one of curiosity as he went about exploring the area with his nose to the ground and his tail wagging behind him. I had Tyson lead us into the trees to get Spartan to follow, once we were far enough in I stripped down and shifted, making sure the large male wolf dog was watching me. I wanted him to understand that I was a wolf and a friend not just an enemy like his old owner had once been, so I trotted towards him and let him smell me.

 His usual weariness was replaced with a playful curiosity as I invited him to a game of chase, instinctively he responded as all four of us raced through the forest around us. We ran and ran with me taking the lead of the pack as they chased after me, I only stopped when we came to a stream to let my companions rest and drink. Spartan pounced on me like a giant puppy which I didn't mind, but then his demeanor changed to one of dominance and that I was not going to allow. When he continued to try dominating me after my warning growl I quickly put him in his place and made him submit beneath me. He needed to know that I was the alpha here, not him.

 I let him up from the dirt once he gave his full submission and he lowered his posture to lick at my chin in apology for his disrespect. I let my shift ripple back over me as I grabbed his huge head between my hands and growled softly at him. "You don't get to be the boss big guy, not here, but I'm not going to let anyone hurt you ever again." I whispered out as he sat back on his haunches and whined, there was no longer fear from him, only respect for me as a leader. I knew we had to be getting back so after scratching at his ears I let him go and shifted to make the run back to my clothes. Once I was human and clothed once more I led the three happy and panting pups back towards the sanctuary, Spartan trotting right at my side. 

"I'm going to kill her! She let the bloody mutt out of his cage and I can't find them anywhere!" I winced as I heard Gavin shouting as we stepped from the trees, I caught a glimpse of him pacing with his phone to his ear. "Don't tell me to f***ing calm down right now, she could be dead somewhere for all we know! She's not just crazy she is completely psycho!" He howled out and Spartan growled at my side, Gavin's attention immediately shot towards us and his jaw dropped. "Fletch I'm going to have to call you back." Gavin muttered as he cut his call and scowled at me. 

"Before you start shouting again Streaks you might want to let me get him back in his cage, before he tries to defend me from you." I stated as I placed a calming hand on top of Spartan's head and his growls stopped instantly. I slowly led the wolf dog past a gaping Gavin and got him into the cage before closing the door behind him. "Okay, so should I be preparing to fight for my life or are we actually going to talk like civilized people?" I raised to the boy who kept looking from me to the cage at my back. "I honestly have no idea where to start, seriously C.G what we're you thinking!?" He exclaimed to my sigh, so we were going to 'argue' like civilized people then.

 "I wanted to get him out of that d*** cage at least for a little while so I took him for a run and he warmed right up to me." I shrugged. "You could have at least warned me what you were planning so I wouldn't have a heart attack at his empty cage!" He growled out. "I've been working on getting him to trust me, what did you think was going to happen? Also if I told you I was going to let him out you would have tried to stop me." I shrugged to his fuming. "Well yeah! He's a dangerous animal!" He hissed back. "No more dangerous than you or I, he deserves another chance and you know it." I stated as I stared Gavin down, it didn't take long before he was groaning his defeat. 

"You're going to do this again aren't you?" He sighed out softly. "Yeah but I can let you know ahead of time if you want?" I hummed out. "You'll be the death of me, do you know that Crazy girl?" He grunted out. "Hey, at least my kind of crazy makes life interesting." I grinned at him and he chuckled before beaming back at me. "Whatever you say Sid, let's get back to work." He puffed, rolling his eyes at me as he headed to get started on the usual cage cleaning. I let Ollie and Tyson in with Spartan to hang out while I worked, the sounds of them playing while I cleaned was music to my ears. I was going to change a lot of things around here and the top of my priority list was getting Spartan freed from his personal prison, in anyway that I could.