Chapter 48

Sidney

I followed Madison into their kitchen, glad to see it was almost as big as the one at the boys packhouse, despite the fact they were a smaller pack. "The air has been getting a bit cooler these past few days, how does soup sound to you?" She hummed out pleasantly. I still wasn't fully trusting of her considering I knew if I wasn't careful there was still a chance she would turn on me when my back was turned. "Sounds nice, not to mention you can feed more mouths with it too." I replied lightly. "Exactly." She winked and I couldn't help chuckling at her playfulness. We settled into an easy silence of preparing the meat and veggies to go into the large pot she'd put onto the stove, her company wasn't all that horrible after all. 

"You must really like all of those boys to be so protective of them, I don't think anyone has ever challenged my Denny like you did today, not even I was mad enough." Her soft chuckle let me know she was giving her approval of my daring actions. "I guess I'll take that as a compliment, not much scares me and I've never been one to back down from a challenge. I guess now that you mention it I was acting that way in defense of them wasn't I?" The thought has my brow furrowed as I stare down at the carrots I'm chopping. I hadn't even thought about it, seeing all of them injured had enraged me into action. 

"It sure did seem like it although quite a few of them didn't seem to like how you claimed them to be untrained pups in front of my big bad scary wolves." She remarked. Yeah I might have to apologize to them for that later if they were sensitive about it, even if it was true. "If you ask me they can't be all that scary if they have you keeping them all in line." I smiled softly as I turned towards her, she was studying me in intent silence.

 "You know I've never met anyone who hasn't questioned the way our family works, all of them and little old me. For one thing they are all older than I am by a number of years and they do outnumber me five to one, yet here you are acting like it's normal. I don't see judgment from you, or disgust, I only see respect of the bond I have with them. I can't tell you how many times I've fought and occasionally killed others that thought they could take one of my boys from me." Her growl is warning and I nod my agreement. 

"Well the age difference isn't uncommon considering the health and vitality of our species compared to regular humans. As for you being outnumbered, I've seen some relationships like yours before so it's not overly surprising to me, I believe it's called polyamory by definition. The respecting your bond is only natural for me considering I have no interest nor am I crazy enough to try stealing another females partner no matter how many she has." I answered her honestly, trying to steal a wolf's partner was practically inviting a fight to the death. "You really are a smart one aren't you, and I must thank you for that, it's kind of refreshing even if I must admit I'm afraid I'd lose in that fight considering how our little spar turned out." She sighed. 

"Never doubt the power of a desperate wolf who has nothing or everything to lose." I murmured softly back to her sly smirk. "Oh, I really like you Sid, I really do." She praised playfully. "Surprisingly I think I can say the same for you Mads, very rarely do I tolerate other females, especially when they think challenging my authority on the regular is okay." I hummed back. "I might be crazy but I know when I'm beat, you're the stronger wolf and I can accept that even if it is a bit of a bite to my own ego." She grinned and I smiled back easily. "I will say I am a little curious about how you met them and made things work though?" I voiced slowly as I went back to dropping whatever she handed me into the pot.