Chapter 13

Sidney

I had fun. It was crazy but I actually had fun teasing the crazy pack of idiotic males. I had been tense through the meal but Jason and Daniel had kept up the conversation whenever I got quiet. Then I learned that Tucker had a love for cars too and had to undergo intense questioning on my actual knowledge of mechanics, that was when I realized I liked showing off for the silly boys. When Beckett had come up and challenged me I thought I was going to end up ripping the boy in half until Fletcher showed up and I grabbed a slice of his cake and shoved it into the aggravating males face.

 I was a bit surprised I had the guts to smear it over his cheek and I felt bad for throwing away a perfectly good piece of cake, but the shocked look on his face was worth it. It was such a complete and utter shocked disbelief that for the first time in a long time I found myself laughing so hard I almost couldn't breath. From that moment on all of them relaxed a bit more when talking to me and I found myself enjoying their company as I discussed a few devious prank ideas with Emmett who nodded eagerly about giving them a try. Soon enough it was time for me to head home and I called my goodbyes to the boys from the porch. I couldn't help smiling to myself at the fact they'd done a number on scent marking the area to erase my scent from their turf.

 I climbed into my car with a smile as I pulled out and headed for home, I was halfway up my driveway before the scent I caught wiped away all things good from tonight and had my smile replaced with a snarl. I parked in front of the cottage and stepped out as their stench nearly smothered me with its strength. I bounded for my front door to check that my pets were safe inside, once I knew they were okay I scanned the trees surrounding my home as a howl sounded through the darkness. They were here, they had come for me and they weren't leaving without me, but I wasn't about to go anywhere without a fight.

 I double checked my pets were safe inside before I shifted on my porch, not bothering to strip from my clothes as I dashed into the forest. It wasn't long before I heard them giving chase as I led them to a clearing far from my home, close to the border of my territory and the boys, it was here that I turned to face them head on with a snarl. There were three of them, three male rogues all larger than myself and each with a bag strapped to some part of their wolf forms. I didn't recognize two of the smaller males but the one at the front was a rogue I knew well, I'd clashed teeth and fists with him enough times to know how well he fought. 

I watched on as all three of them shifted in front of me, not the least bit afraid of me which was pure stupidity on their part. "Hello little wolf, did you miss me?" The voice was a dangerous tone as he smirked at me from where he and the other two stood completely naked. "We both know your own mother wouldn't miss you Cortez, so why the h*** would I?" I linked back on a snarl as I watched his jaw tick, I knew how to make him lose control easily. "They want you back little wolf, we're just the middle men." Cortez growled out. 

"More like the idiots they sent to do their dirty work for them, we both know they sent you here to die! So how did you find me?" I link back as I eye them up wearily, they are a threat and all of us know it. "You're not the only one with connections, we have our ways. Now are you going to come quietly or do we have to do this the hard way?" Cortez growled. "You of all people should know I'm not easy Cortez, and now that nobody's here to save you I'm going to rip out your scrawny throat like the animal they made me be!" I sent and there was only a flash of fear before his eyes shifted to a dangerous wild.

 "Hard way it is then." He snarled as all three of them shifted at once and I braced myself for their charge. I tore into Cortez first since he was my biggest threat, I felt the two others sink their teeth into my shoulder and back leg as I fought my battle with the largest of the males. The pain was nothing to me after my years trapped in the nightmares of my past, pain could be dealt with, losing could not.

 I got myself just in the right position to deal the deadly bite to Cortez's throat before dropping his body to the dirt without a second glance. I turned my attention on the two tag teaming my sides as I tore into the male gripping my shoulder in his teeth, in one go I shredded his ear like paper, like an inexperienced fighter he yelped in pain and released my shoulder. I turned on the one holding my leg and tore into him, biting and ripping whatever I could get my jaws around before the other male pulled me off him by my injured leg. I felt the joint dislocate at how roughly he'd yanked and I jumped on him with my three good legs as I wrestled him to the ground.

 I had just dealt the death blow when I felt the dart prick my skin, the pain was instantaneous as the tiny projectile released its toxic weapon into my blood stream, igniting the blaze of fire in my veins. I ripped the dart out with my teeth as I turned to the bloodied male holding the gun in his shaking hands, I only had to snarl before he took off running in fear. I knew I couldn't let him live but I also knew with the stuff running through me I couldn't chase him down in time, I could only hope he died from the wounds I'd already inflicted. I watched until he disappeared out of my view before I headed for home, fighting the poison inside me.

 It wasn't the first time I'd suffered the stuff so I knew what was coming as the pain spread up my spine and all through my body. I barely shifted and stumbled through my cottages front door before I collapsed to the floor as my body spasmed from the toxins. I gasped as the pain gripped my chest and my pets circled me whimpering in worry, I couldn't even close the door before darkness pulled me under it's horrifying spell.

 By the time I regained consciousness night was gone and the sun was high in the sky, I was just glad I had the next two days off work because every move was agony. The poison dart was something very special that had been created because of me, it caused maximum pain and stopped the wolf healing ability entirely as long as it was in your system. I gritted my teeth as I forced myself onto my hands and knees despite Tyson whining his protests beside me. I gasped to catch my breath and fought to stay conscious as the pain constricted my chest once more.

 Then slowly inch by inch I crawled my way up the stairs and into my bathtub, I turned the water on and climbed in with a whimper. The water helped ease the ache of the cuts and tears in my skin as it also cleaned the blood from my wounds. That was how I stayed, mostly frozen in a sort of pained coma and drifting in and out of consciousness from the poison dart for the following days. As long as my body was fighting the poison I didn't have the strength to move anywhere outside my bedroom or bathroom.

 I couldn't even feed my pets or go back down the stairs to feed myself, I was too weak to move without adrenaline flooding my veins. It was the third day when I was finally able to stand again and force my knee joint back into its rightful place, but my wounds still weren't healing and the bite in my thigh was starting to look infected. I needed help, not only did I need a doctor but I also couldn't defend myself if more of them came for me while the poison was still knocking me out at random intervals. 

I couldn't go to a hospital either without drawing attention to my large bite wounds and the strange poison my body continued to fight against. It was late afternoon before I finally made it down the stairs, it was a slow and painful process but I made it. I knew where I had to go, it was crazy and dangerous but if I didn't get help soon there was a strong likelihood I would be dead in a matter of days and it was sure to be a slow and painful death. I dumped out a bag of food on the floor for my pets before grabbing my keys and forcing myself into my car as I started the long painful and slow process of driving to the boys pack house for help.