Chapter 65

Fletcher

I was over the moon with the flood of emotions pouring off of Sidney and the claim she'd staked on me, the mood had never been this light and happy with Bowen as alpha. It did take a little getting used to the way her thoughts would jump and change so quickly from one thing to the next, she always seemed to be aware of everyone and everything around her. I found myself running at her left and was glad when she accepted my presence there despite my previously lowest pack ranking, shockingly it was Colton that ran on her right instead of Bowen. 

"Don't let it go to your head Fletch, you're the little alphas pet now but that doesn't mean we won't kick your butt if you try pushing us around." Beck barked out as he nipped at my shoulder, immediately Sidney turned on him mid sprint. She had him pinned beneath her and was snarling angrily at my defense in a second, I'd never seen Beck submit to anyone that fast in all the years of knowing him. "Okay, okay, you win, I'm sorry!" He whined out as she hovered over him. "Respect the pack, respect your brothers, no one will fight in my pack unless I say so, understood?!" She growled the link to everyone despite Beck holding most of her attention, it was nice to see her using the names and sentences a bit easier now at least.

 "Yes." Our response was instantaneous and she let Beck up to shake off the snow and lick the wounds to his pride. Her ears swiveled constantly alert to every sound as her nose raised, scenting the air, she'd caught the trail of something worth chasing, leaving us to chase after her once more. The scent of elk invaded my nose and I whined in uncertainty, she wanted us to face off with one of the giant deer family, and knowing Sid it would be the one with giant weapons on the top of it's head. "No fear pup, I will make the kill, you will be safe at my back." Her link sent a wave of calm contentment through me, wiping out the worry, she was great at the alpha thing so far. 

"Can I help?" Beck whined placatingly, he loved the challenge of tough hunts but he knew the decision was hers to make. "As long as you don't get yourself killed, yes you may help." Her huff had him happy to keep pace with us again. "What target are you going for?" Colton linked curiously as Sidney slowed everyone into a stalk, sighting a small herd ahead. "The large old bull at the back of the herd, he seems to have a fresh wound in his side prehaps from the younger bull in the middle of the herd." She pointed it out and I saw the wound but I also saw the giant rack of antlers the bull sported, I so called this happening. 

"Safety in numbers. If you want you may stay here." She had concern for my worries but she was intent on this hunt and no way was I getting left on on the first hunt with her as our alpha. "I'm okay." I thanked her and she agreed as we watched the herd move further into the trees, the old bull lagging behind was an even bigger target now. She sent out two groups of four to the sides to help close the bull into a trap between everyone. I was one of the lucky ones who got to stay with Sid, along with Beck, Colton and Asher, the five of us would lead the charge on the bull when the others were in place. 

"Ready here." Bowen's link came through first as I started to tremble in place, I could feel the excitement rolling off of Sid and it was making it difficult to be still. "Ready boss woman." Micah linked eagerly, he was enjoying her shared excitement as well. She seemed to be waiting for something as she tensed slightly in place eager to spring the attack, the bull had dropped his head to graze when she finally sprung. "Now." The link came as I felt more than saw everyone move as a unit, completely connected as a pack, hunting as one. The bull might have been wounded but he still ran well enough until Bowen and Micah's groups closed off his escape and sent him heading back towards us in a panic, closing our trap in tighter around him until he was finally forced to stand his ground with nowhere else to run.