seven

"So what were the two of you doing in there?"

It's been a couple of days since Roger had interrupted Roxanne and John's dinner and Roxanne looks up from where she's lying across the bottom of Roger's bed, from her magazine to see her cousin, who's propped up against the headboard, grinning at her.

"Funnily enough, Rog, we were eating. It is a diner after all."

He gives her a sarcastic smile before going back to his interrogating, "Was it a date?" His mouth falls open, "Were the two of you on a date?"

Knowing that she wasn't going to get the peace to finish reading, she tosses the magazine down onto the floor, "No, it wasn't a date, Roger. Don't be absurd."

He hums, "Do you fancy him though?"

She threw her head back in exasperation and groaned, "I didn't realise that we were in a fourteen-year old's bedroom."

"Because if you do," Roger continues as if she hadn't spoken, "I'd be alright with it. Deaky's a nice bloke."

"Good looking too," Roxanne says before her brain can stop her and Roger's eyes widen.

"You think he's good looking?" he asks,

"Curiosity killed the cat, Roger." is all she says.

"Yes and satisfaction brought it back," he argues, "So bring me back to life, Nessie and fucking tell me what's going on."

When she doesn't answer him, he takes matters into his own hands, leaning forward so he can look into her eyes, catching hold of her chin when she tries to look away and after a good twenty seconds of intense staring, he gasps.

"Rog-"

"You do!" he almost yells, "Holy shit yo-"

Roxanne quickly covers his mouth with her hand before Brian hears him but is just as quick to pull it away again when he licks it, "God, Roger, you're not fucking five!"

He opens his mouth to reply but hearing Freddie burst through the door to the flat stops him and really, Roxanne could kiss him for his timing.

Roger gets up off the bed, giving her a look that says that the conversation isn't over before he leaves the room and she lays down on the bed once more, staring up at the ceiling as she takes a couple of minutes to gather her thoughts.

Is John handsome? Yes.

Is he one of the loveliest guys she's ever met? Yes.

Did she like him the way Roger was going on about? That, she was unsure about.

Knowing that she can't hide in Roger's bedroom forever, she slides off of the bed and makes her way out into the living room, where the three men are.

"Nessie, darling!" Freddie greets, bounding over to give her a kiss on the cheek, "Just the person I'm here to see."

"Charming," Roger mutters but Brian nudges him with his elbow.

"Shush. We need her to agree to this, Rog."

Immediately, the young woman was suspicious. She looks between the three of them and narrows her eyes, "Need me to agree to what, exactly?"

Freddie pulls her down onto the couch beside him, tossing her pillow onto the floor, "As you know, Queen are looking to take our music out of London. Go on the road, all that jazz."

She nods, "Yes...?"

"Well, I've been ringing around and I've managed to get us spots in a few pubs around the country; Machester, Liverpool, places like those."

She was confused now. Happy for them, of course, but what did they need her fo-wait.

"You want me to run the shop, don't you?"

Brian gives her an innocent smile, "We know it's a pretty shitty thing to do to you, considering you're supposed to be on your jolly holidays and everything but we wouldn't ask if we weren't desperate."

Roger and Freddie nod in agreement and she sighs, "Can't you just close for a couple of days?"

"We can't," Roger admits, "We're on our last warning with the woman that owns the building. Nessie, please."

"I'm literally begging you," Freddie pouts, "And I don't do that often."

Their eyes all move to the door as John hurries into the flat, "Sorry. Roommate wouldn't leave - oh, have you asked her already?"

"You knew that they were going to do this?" Roxanne groans, head falling back against the couch, "How could you? I thought we were friends."

"We are," John agrees, a smirk pulling at his lips, "And friends would run the shop for them to allow us to go do this."

She looks at them all individually once more but ultimately, it's Brian's pleading face that gets her to cave. He looks like an actual puppy.

"Dammit," she whispers, feeling Freddie grab her arm gently, "Fine."

"Oh darling, you're positively wonderful, aren't you?" Freddie grins, kissing her loudly on the cheek, "This calls for a celebration!"

John shoots him an amused smile, "Pub?"

"Pub."

++|++

And so after a quick change of clothes, the five of them are ambling down the streets to one of Freddie's favourite watering holes; Roger and Freddie are up ahead discussing a new song that Roger had written while John, Brian and Roxanne are a good few feet behind, the two men helping her walk in the heels she insisted on wearing.

"Why?" Brian asks as she stumbles slightly, his hands just managing to steady her before she face plants the pavement, "Why do women insist on doing this to themselves?"

"Because!" she hisses, "These shoes make my legs go on for days and I paid a lot of money for them so I am going to fucking wear them!"

"Yes, but you can't walk in them," John huffs, letting her wrap her arm around his.

She manages to find her feet a little bit better and John lets go of her arm and for the next few minutes, all is well; she stays upright and have a conversation with the two men and then Brian goes and opens his mouth.

"So how was your date last night?"

This time, Roxy does fall, definitely not expecting to hear those words come out of Brian May's mouth, she hisses when her palms and knees come in contact with the asphalt and Roger and Freddie turn around to see Brian and John hurrying to help her back up.

"Christ," the blonde mutters, "And that's without a drink in her."

"Are you alright?" Brian asks worriedly, gently brushing the dirt from her knees and Roxanne nods.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine, I-uh must have lost my footing."

"Are you sure?" John asks and she nods.

"Yep, totally fine."

"We'll nip into that little convenience shop and get you some plasters for those knees," Freddie nods to her legs, which have two impressive bloody scrapes but Roxanne doesn't care about that.

She cares about that John Richard Deacon, had a date last night. And it wasn't with her.

++|++

next update won't be till Friday because my manager has somehow got it into her head that i enjoy nightshifts and keeps giving them to me 🙃