thirty five

It was official; Queen now had a record deal with EMI with a proper manager and all that other official stuff that Roxy really knew nothing about.

The plan was, according to John, was to get their album released as soon as possible but, after sitting down and listening to the still-untitled album in its entirety, the band (mostly Freddie and Brian), weren't happy with the way almost half of the songs sounded and so they were back in the studio again -a different one- at night and during the day, they were back at uni and or work.

"Morning," Roxy said quietly, glancing at the bag, "What is that?"

"It's a couple of Alyssa's things. Stuff that she left at ours."

"You went out for like two months," Roxanne mumbles, "She had stuff at your place?"

He nods, reaching for the pot of coffee that was in her hand.

"And why are you giving it to me?"

He hands the coffee to Brian, "I was hoping that you'd maybe go give it back to her for me...?"

"I don't think that's a good idea, mate," Brian shakes his head.

"Why not?"

"Because he knows that there's a good chance I'll hit her," Roxy smiles as the door to the diner opens and she picks up the pot again to greet her new customer, "But I'll take them to Biba for you. And I promise that I won't hit her, Bri."

The customer is a woman with dark hair and Roxanne doesn't recall seeing her before and so she puts on the brightest smile she can (she really needs some tips) and approaches, "Morning! What can I get you?"

"Oh, nothing. Thanks for asking, though."

"Okay," Roxy glances at Brian and Roger, who are watching curiously, "Then..."

"I'm Kayla Anderson," she introduces herself, "I'm opening up the flower shop just across the road there. I thought I'd get to know the neighbours. Oh and this," she digs around in the basket she's carrying and pulls out a single red rose, "Is for you."

"Oh," Roxy takes the flower from her with a red face, "Thank you. I'm Roxanne."

"Lovely to meet you," Kayla looks at Roger when she feels him watching her, "Yes?"

"Are you flirting with her?"

"Maybe I am," the young woman shrugs, raising an eyebrow, "She's a beautiful young lady. Would that be a problem?"

Roxanne laughs as he tries to form some sort of reply to stutter out, mouth opening and closing in a way that reminds her of a fish.

"I'm kidding!" Kayla waves a hand as she hops off of her stool, "Anyway, it was nice meeting you. I've got to go but I'll probably be back later on, my flat doesn't have any gas...bye!"

The three watch as she practically skips back out of the door and Roger turns to the other two, "What the fuck just happened?"

++|++

Roxanne didn't take Alyssa's stuff back to her. She was going to throw it in the bin when she got home because in her opinion, after what she'd done, she didn't deserve it back.

And so after clocking out, she returned back to her flat where she cleaned and made sure that there was enough stuff in the fridge for some dinner for her and John, who was supposed to be coming round once they'd finished in the studio.

The two of them were supposed to cook together but when the phone rang at six-thirty, Roxanne had a feeling that they were going to be back later than first thought.